1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Went to take out my steering box...grrr

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to take out my steering box...grrr

So I had my steering box up rigged by a diesel shop as some of you might know from an earlier post.

I thought it was safe untill I actually stopped and looked at it.

So I ordered a new steering box from AutoZone Online, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I'm in the middle of taking my old steering box out.

Well my power steering lines both broke off from being stuck together from the elements. Any idea on where to get them at and whats the cost?

And I have one of the three bolts off of the bracket thats holding the steering box.

I have another nut off one of the bolts on the bracket but the bolt still won't come out with the nut off. It seems like its stuck big time. I even took a punch and a hammer to it!

And the third bolt on the bracket that is sort of tucked under the frame just won't move at all no matter how hard I try to pull on it. I even used a four foot breaker bar and all it did was snap my snap on extention in half.

I soaked everything in WD-40 then hit it with some PB Blaster also and I am going to try back at it in the morning.

If there is something I am missing here or something that could help me out with this please let me know. Thanks, Dean
Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dean if it is that tight, then use some red wrench and then use the snipe.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea,
Id say go ahead and break off the bolts and put new ones in.

For replacement PS lines I would suggest your local fittings/hydraulics shop... most shops that can build a hydraulic line for a tractor can make your high pressure PS line.. Low pressure line can be replaced with some basic parker pushlok. The high pressure line cannot be twisted, so getting the length and fitting orientation right is critical.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM

If you are having the same problem that I did, you will laugh! Don't feel too bad, I broke a socket extension before I figured it out. The bottom bolt on the steering box is splined into the bracket. You will need to take off the nut on the other side within the frame. Its hard to get to, which is what kept me from trying it right away. If you already tried that, then the wd 40 or torch might be in order.

As far as the power steering lines, the best thing to do might be to have a shop build rubber hoses with the proper fittings if you cannot find them anywhere else.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Junkie
Yea,
Id say go ahead and break off the bolts and put new ones in.

For replacement PS lines I would suggest your local fittings/hydraulics shop... most shops that can build a hydraulic line for a tractor can make your high pressure PS line.. Low pressure line can be replaced with some basic parker pushlok. The high pressure line cannot be twisted, so getting the length and fitting orientation right is critical.
If you look at the length of any hydraulic line you will see some printing or molded in mark, this is the GIG Line and it has to be straight the entire length if the line.

When you apply pressure to the line it will twist and it will contract because of the way that the braided wire is wrapped inside the hose.

The hose will get shorter and squirm as the pressure is applied so you have to be sure the length of the line is adequate.
Jim
Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the high pressure lines at a regular parts store, dont remember which as I went to them all until one had it in stock. I got two high pressure lines as they couldnt get just the fitting for the return. So I took the extra high pressure line and cut off the unneeded fitting leaving the rubber hose attached which I clamped onto the tube going into the pump. the hose is just a hair larger than it could be so the clamp is good and tight.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM

when I broke the bracket on mine I got an electric impact wrench from lowes to get them off. then returned it after I was done. After that I bought a compressor and impact wrench. made things a little easier.

Jim