1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Well I had the EDM's and Housing installed and now have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I had the EDM's and Housing installed and now have a problem...

I figured I'd have it done professionally here in Miami so I took it to a place and after the EDM's and 16cm housing were installed I went to pick it up...He tells me the turbo can't accomodate all the extra fuel and the bearing is bad...There was some side to side play but also the shaft was bent...When started the truck smokes worse than anything I've ever seen, not really at idle but at throttle...HE says his friend is selling a used hx-40 that he can install on Monday......What do you guys think...Sounds like he bent the shaft taking apart the turbo? I need my truck on Wednesday....
I don't know what the hell to do...Worse case I can get the hx-35 from Piers overnight on monday....Any help would be appreciated...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with you, the "professional" screwed up big time. No way the shaft bent from "extra fuel". He owes you a turbo.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:37 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the guy rebuild the turbo? Most turbo shops can straighten a shaft easily. Its done all the time.

What color smoke?

Does it make boost at all?

Idle quality?

Don~
Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 PM

First, spin the compressor wheel with your fingers (with the truck off of course) and see how it spins. If it wobbles inside the housing, the shaft may be bent. If it rubs the housing at any time, the shaft IS bent.

Have him remove the turbo, and separate the compressor/turbine housings from the cartridge. Look to see if the compressor wheel has any markings or visible damage from rubbing the compressor housing (look at the inside of the compressor housing as well). Do the same with the Turbine wheel & housing.

If they aren't rubbing the housings...then the turbine shaft is NOT bent. If he's a "turbo guy", he can remove the compressor wheel & turbine wheel & show you the bearings, as well as the shaft.

Don't let him screw you out of your good parts that he destroyed, PLUS charge you for a turbo swap & labor.

If anything, I'd tell him to cut the cost of the used HX-40 down, and install it at no charge, since all this was his mistake. Being a mechanic, he knows what he broke, and he knows how to cover it up...he also knows how to fool customers and make money.

If the turbo was fine before the housing swap...it should be fine afterwards. Any damage is HIS fault and he should cover all extra expenses & labor.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:30 PM
DTR Advertiser

Many times after a performance injector swap guys will turn the fuel down some if they had it turned up before the install. Just another thought.

Don~
Old 07-16-2004, 09:03 PM

Thanks guys, you are all helping tremendously...Ok, The inside of the housing had marks where the turbo was rubbing...It's never been off the truck or rebuilt before, and it worked fine when it went in, however, it did have some shaft play...it's 14 years old...It idled fine but when I accelerated the turbo sounded like it was going to come apart, and was rubbing on the housing, so I let off immediately...the smoke was thick, black, smoke...He mentioned how difficult it was to get apart...I know it didn't make that sound the last 14 years...Is it possible though that the Stock H1c can't "Handle" the excess fuel...Sounded like BS, but I'm between a rock and a hard place because I NEED the truck to pull a generator to a Toby Keith video next week, and I'll lose my money for the month if it's not running...In a worse case scenario, could PDR get a turbo here by Tues? then at least I wouldn't lose my whole pay...Thanks again you guys
Oh yeah, he sais he turned up the pump 3/4 of a turn after the injectors went in...
Old 07-16-2004, 09:04 PM

IMHO, unless someone at the shop took your rig out and did some extensive wot test driving, there's no way that the extra fuel could have destroyed the turbo just around the shop .... it sounds like they had trouble getting your old housing off. As texashardcore suggeted, se if you can get him to meet you at least half way on the cost of the 40.

Originally posted by Don M
Many times after a performance injector swap guys will turn the fuel down some if they had it turned up before the install. Just another thought.

Don~
Oops, I think I may have turned my fuel screw the wrong way after I put the pods in
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 PM

ok, I'm a dummy...The old 21 that came off had marks in it, I didn't see the new one...Could the bearing be that bad for the impeller to rub??Sound like it may be the bearing was bad AND the shaft was bent after the fact...?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:18 PM
DTR Advertiser

You might try taking the fuel screw in a few turns and choking some fuel back. That will help the smoke.

You will have some smoke with a larger set if injectors and the summer months and humidity only add to it.

The turbo sounds like it is on its way out. Wheel rubs are not good. Failure is just around the corner. How long that corner is would be a guess. When they howl like that...it aint good!

Don~
Old 07-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Muted User

Claw,
Plain and simple, they cocked the housing trying to get the turbo apart and bent the shaft. PM me, i have an extra turbo here and im not far from you (Tampa) you can come get it tomorrow and be running by sunday. I will help you put the housing on too if ya want. My turbo only has 41k original miles on it when i switched it out.
-Jim-
Old 07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Muted User

O and the smoke is the oil from the turbo pouring directly into the exhaust from the seal riding crooked on the shaft. Dont drive it.
-Jim-
Old 07-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Jim is correct... nine out of ten times the turbo gets damaged taking the old housing off.
It has to be beat off and that is risky if you don't do it real carefull and check the shaft for free movement following every smack with the hammer.
He owes YOU....

bob.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Jim Shulmister
Claw,
Plain and simple, they cocked the housing trying to get the turbo apart and bent the shaft. PM me, i have an extra turbo here and im not far from you (Tampa) you can come get it tomorrow and be running by sunday. I will help you put the housing on too if ya want. My turbo only has 41k original miles on it when i switched it out.
-Jim-
Jim thanks a million I sent you a PM...The best bunch of guys online are on this forum...