1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

weld spider gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weld spider gears?

Whats every body opion on weld up the rear end i know that i will lose handlin in corners and in bad weather but is there anything else
Old 05-28-2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by puffmagicdiesel
Whats every body opion on weld up the rear end i know that i will lose handlin in corners and in bad weather but is there anything else
Youll wear your tires out, because the inner needs to spin less than the outer around a turn, and God forbid you break a weld, the rear will be shot. For an off road application, I hear tons doing it.

I have welded literally tons of rears over the years, and the best luck I had was by using the bolt method. Place a bolt, in between the spiders in all 4 corners, and actually melt the bolt into the spiders. I prefer a good size Mig welder. I do opposite corners and then let it cool. Heat is your worst enemy, then weld the left over corners. cool, flip her over and continue. cool and then weld the upper, lower and side spiders to the carrier. Just dont get her too hot.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 PM

There is much debate on welding gears. I personally am against for any reason. I prefer a spool if you want a solid lock. 2 cents...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:53 PM

I agree 100%, if possible run a full spool (im thinking about Ford 9" locking)
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres no reason to weld the spider gears unless your just too cheap to buy a proper LS
Old 05-29-2006, 12:35 AM

If you were going to haul any weight at all I would not do it, If you are going to drag race only then go ahead. I weld rear ends on rock crawlers. I called for a spool on a dana 70 and randys ring and pinion said they dont make a spool, I think some one must make a spool for a 70.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you spend any time on the road you'll break something. That's a mod for single purpose trucks that only do trail rig/sled puller/drag race duty.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Underpsi
theres no reason to weld the spider gears unless your just too cheap to buy a proper LS
Lol...It's not about the money. A limited slip unit can't even come close to the traction you get from a welded/spooled diff.

I wouldn't even think of doing it to a big heavy street-driven truck though. You will wear through tires like you can't believe and most likely break something in the process. But for true off-road traction, nothing even comes close to a welded/spooled diff.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 PM

ever seen a detroit locker set up. axels go but locker stays.
Clark
Old 05-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep. Drove school buses with lockers. I soon learned that if it got quiet going around corners I had a busted axle and it was time to put it in the shop before the other side broke and left me stranded - and with no way to hold the bus on a hill.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have welded D60 in the rear of my trail rig. I welded the spiders to each other and to the case. Has held up for 7 years now and has been in two different rigs, first one had a built up 360.

Not really apropiate for anything that sees regular street use. Too much wear on the tires and handling is too squirelly in wet/slippery conditions.

For a mainly trail rig though I think its the only way to in the rear, saves money for a front selectable locker.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Detroit is spooky enough for me on the street...and it's hungry for tires as well..it only seems to unlock on the tighter turns. Gradual turns usually have both rear tires scrubbing pretty good. I've been getting braver with the loud pedal/brake pedal combo in hopes of a good manual tranny burnout video---the detroit sure is hady for usless stuff like that!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 PM

my 79 bronco has a dl in the rear. now with the wide tires it is about as wide as it is long. can we say fun, fun fun in the ice and snow. course when i have 4-5 ft of snow its the only one that can get out of the Sandy Farm.
Clark
Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 AM

Anyone ever pricea limited slip or locker for a Dana 70HD???? cuz i know i wouldnt weld the spiders just because i dont want to replace my rearend. its not bad for racing and such but from what i have been told its not healthy for the vehicle if its a daily driver. more strain on the parts. just my .02
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 AM

i would not weld your rear end. i welded both front and rear rockwell 2.5 tons in my play truck and turning on a hard surface would be next to impossible without 4 wheel hydraulic steering. no way i would weld anything that serves any street duty.

Quick Reply: weld spider gears?