1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Weekend project

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey buddy...
I was having some problems at first...only had a max boost of 42psi and it took a very long time to get there. It built boost so slow that it wasnt even funny so I disconnected the wastegate last night and now can peg my 50psi gauge in 4th and 5th gear now....very quickly. I still have a massive exhaust leak coming from the manifold, but that will be addressed this week. We have a dyno day Saturday so hopefully I will have some numbers. Anything over 400hp would be very nice because I know where I can find an additional 102hp.
Cody
Old 07-17-2005, 09:08 PM

I would also keep a lookout for Swank in the following months to come. I did my best to "enlighten" him this afternoon and I see a big hp number coming outta Idaho...
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 PM

Yeah I was talking to Brian Block the other day and he mentioned that you were having some problems. You had better take it easy on that thing or you will be doing a headgasket job. Let me know how you do on the dyno. I will be watching you and Swank very closely, because I don’t want to see you guys going flying by me. I am sure that is what Brian is saying also. I know there are a few of us that have those special pump parts so I am sure that when some of you guys start putting them in there is going to be quite a bit of competition. Good luck on the dyno. Did it at least clean up that smoke, because if it did I am sure that you are going to nail 400hp.

Oh yeah 102hp I wonder where you got that from. I think it was 102.5hp to be exact.

Stomp
Old 07-24-2005, 04:55 PM

what's the hold up, cody?????????? we want #'s. how'd it go this weekend? hopefully well.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:13 PM

Lost 30hp. Best run was 328 and 678tq. Never got my bottom turbo spooled and only hit 40psi. I was runing about 95-100mph to hit that too. Smoke was horrible. I would be very curious to see what numbers I could make when I actually spool the turbos because it clears up my smoke on the street.

Thats the least of my concerns though...the truck broke on the way home. Driving 70mph home I lost oil pressure and truck started hopping like somehting locked up and came to a halt on the shoulder. I immediately shut down the truck and opened the hood and saw smoke from underneath. Crawled underneath and smoke was coming from the bellhousing right by the slave cylinder. Truck wont go into any gear no matter how hard you try. Truck is still full of oil so I'm confused on the lack of oil pressure. It was running like a dream until all of this happen. I'm hoping the culprit is the tranny or clutch, but I have no clue.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:21 PM

Dakotahaulers from the TDR also had a less than desireable day on the dyno as well. I think he lost 90hp from his previous dyno. I'll let him chime in with the exact numbers as I think he is about to register over here at the DTR. Hopefully he didnt break down on the way home too as we were the only two first gens at the dyno. Sorry we couldnt put down more respectable numbers then we did.
Cody
Old 07-24-2005, 06:53 PM

ooooooooooo. sorry to hear that. you'll get 'er worked out though. as far as the dyno, i'm guessing it was not a load dyno. when i dyno'd i got less than i expected too. i think the twins do better on the load dyno, although i haven't tried one. anyway, keep us informed on what ya find out, eh?

dave
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

Cody, do you have that new 14mm rotorhead installed yet? Hope your problem isn't an expensive one. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Nope, the pump has never been pulled off truck, and I hope the problem isnt expensive either. I bought a Southbend FE yesterday so this gives me a good excuse to pull the tranny and install it. I have a feeling a nv4500 conversion is in the very near future as well, but I'll know more about the damage tomorrow after work when I start tearing things apart.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 PM

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed UPDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE
Old 08-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Hey Dave,
Nothing new to report really on the turbos. The nv4500 conversion is complete as well as the southbend fe and so far i'm impressed. Now that the truck is running again i'll start playing with the turbo's and the wastegate. I havent heard much out of you lately so I figured you were up to no good. Send me a pm....I think I get 50hp more out of your setup.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by NeedMoPower
Hey Dave,

Send me a pm....I think I get 50hp more out of your setup.
I wounder how you are going to do that. I am on to you!!!!!!!!!. It had better not get out if you know what I mean . If it does I might just have to fly out and see KTA and then make two stops on the way home.

Stomp
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Stomp
If it does I might just have to fly out and see KTA
Boy it sure is nice just being a couple hours away from Mr. Block.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM

Dont worry Stomp...you know how I feel about that subject. Let me know when your ready to fly east and I'll jump on a plane as well, and if we dont get the answers we want...we'll resort to physical abuse.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Stomp

Quick Reply: Weekend project