1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Weed Eater from heck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Weed Eater from heck!

So, last night I decided it was time to move the throttle ball to the "inside" hole so I could make sure I was getting the full monty on the throttle. Today I realized that I hadn't been quite getting the full travel, and while going 90 on a giant flyover I shreaded my snake belt!
Yes, I have a fairly new tensioning pully (the metal one), and the belt was maybe a year old. Looks like oil soaking the snake makes it unhappy (oh, and wrapping the heck out of my motor)..

My truck is starting to get almost scarry. I'm all a quiver thinking about hooking up the water/meth sprayer! The clutch is murmuring prayers....
Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of the 92 we met last weekend, only non of us are quite this dumb: Guy has a 92 CC Dually 4wd with an HX35 on it. When pulling it had a weird whistling tone to it, so we asked bout it. Apparently he was running with no intake hose on it. Shredded his belt and it got sucked up into the turbo. he said 'it sounds cool' so he left it...good for a laugh anyway
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
Reminds me of the 92 we met last weekend, only non of us are quite this dumb: Guy has a 92 CC Dually 4wd with an HX35 on it. When pulling it had a weird whistling tone to it, so we asked bout it. Apparently he was running with no intake hose on it. Shredded his belt and it got sucked up into the turbo. he said 'it sounds cool' so he left it...good for a laugh anyway

That story makes me hurt. That dude should be stripped of his Dodge and made to drive a 6.2 "brand X" truck from the '80's...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTMmOtsT0o

Here is the video of it.
Listen to that AWSEOME turbo!

That was odd!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Here is the video of it.
Listen to that AWSEOME turbo!!
You forgot the link.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM

That was odd! For a minute there I thought I got another infraction...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM

I'm getting confused..
Old 05-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha! yes!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up

Ditto on the throttle linkage, Mark. I just did mine today in the parking lot at work while waiting for my other half. That simple mod enhances the 366 spring. It kinda does rev like a 2 stroke now.

Aloha,
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM

I didnt hear him say anything about leaving the intake off, what an idiot. Im always into talking to 1st genners, I will even follow you home to chat about rigs but that was the first time that within 30 seconds of talking to that dude I wanted to go talk to the fence post a while. Or maybe I was talking to a fence post in disguise.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MBolivar
Ditto on the throttle linkage, Mark. I just did mine today in the parking lot at work while waiting for my other half. That simple mod enhances the 366 spring. It kinda does rev like a 2 stroke now.
Aloha,
Hitting my throttle is now like flushing a toilet, and it really does feel like a 2-stroke (not like a moder 2-stroke, more like a Honda Elsinore dirtbike from the '70's" where it boggs for a few seconds and then breaks the seat mounts! Still fabbing the H2O/Meth setup which will make it MUCH worse, I mean better!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine will set up a violent lurching cycle in 3rd if you don't have smooth throttle control. What happens is you are trying to be gentle, but you give it a little too much pedal, so the truck kinda leaps forward pulling your foot backward off the pedal. Foot comes off the pedal, the engine braking throws you forward, causing you to mash the pedal, truck lurches again. Repeat until you get off the pedal completely, floor it, or vomit on the dash. I don't have this problem when I drive it, but several people I've let drive have run across this issue. It is twitchy, but it is a lot of fun.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this ^ problem, uh I mean fun, at times
Old 05-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Mine will set up a violent lurching cycle in 3rd if you don't have smooth throttle control. What happens is you are trying to be gentle, but you give it a little too much pedal, so the truck kinda leaps forward pulling your foot backward off the pedal. Foot comes off the pedal, the engine braking throws you forward, causing you to mash the pedal, truck lurches again. Repeat until you get off the pedal completely, floor it, or vomit on the dash. I don't have this problem when I drive it, but several people I've let drive have run across this issue. It is twitchy, but it is a lot of fun.
I love the highly sensitive input, except when my son dumps the clutch in 3rd thinking it's in 1st. Instead of pushing the clutch back in he guns it, starting a violent spazm that almost rips my head off my neck!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep. It takes a gentle touch to smoothly drive one of these trucks with big injectors, a 3200 spring, inverted throttle linkage, and a stick shift. Your big toe is all you need.

Quick Reply: Weed Eater from heck!