1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water Temp Sensor

My temp gauge swings back and forth recently (momentairly). I think the water temp sensor needs replacing? I picked one up at NAPA. Anyone know what the torq spec is on the water temp sensor? Is the sensor located at the rear of the head on the drivers side, near the firewall? Or, is this the air temp sensor for the grid heaters?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be a bad thermostat!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM

Flash,
Never thought of the T stadt, thanks! I just installed a new NAPA T stadt, while I changed the radiator hoses and drained the old anti-freeze. Once I am done with the final KDP steps, I will see if the new T stadt cures the problem
Old 11-02-2006, 10:46 PM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobilly
My temp gauge swings back and forth recently (momentairly). I think the water temp sensor needs replacing? I picked one up at NAPA. Anyone know what the torq spec is on the water temp sensor? Is the sensor located at the rear of the head on the drivers side, near the firewall? Or, is this the air temp sensor for the grid heaters?
Torque is 37 ft/lb. Rear of the head is correct.

Mine does this now and then. On a trip last month, it would go from normal to something less and hang there for a while, then quickly go back to normal. Cycles much faster than the thermostat can do. No pattern in when it did it. It was ok warming up, then started this stuff when warm. Later in the trip, it went away.

It did the same thing a couple of years ago, and stopped by itself later in the trip.

I don't know if it's the sender or a passing bubble that sticks there for a while and moves on. Drives me nuts when it's happening. I have a new sender standing by - someday when it's actually happening I'll install it.

Regards, DBF
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 PM

DBF,
Thanks for the torq spec and info! Mine temp guage also goes back to normal, after the occasional spike in the guage. Could be a bubble in the system as you mentioned. When I was driving around for a week with the Prestone flush in the system, it seemed like the temp guage swung back and forth more often???