1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

water/methynol

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
AFC = Air-Fuel Control. It is the doo-hickey on top of the pump that contains the smoke screw, star wheel, and fuel cone. Backing off the smoke screw and star wheel will reduce the amount of fuel available at low boost, and reduce EGT. Unfortunately, less fuel = less power. But it's free and you can play with it all you want. If you don't like it, put it back the way it was.

You have an 18.5 cm housing. If you can keep the RPM up it makes enough boost to keep things cool, but as you've found it does not make enough boost at low RPM. I really like the 12 cm wastegated housing for trucks with stock injectors. It will fix your low RPM EGT problem, with the bonus of reducing turbo lag to almost nothing.

You may find it restrictive at the top end, and if you run fast on the highway it will hurt your fuel economy a little.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be an 18 housing, I also pull but i want to get a hybrid with a 16.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
You may find it restrictive at the top end, and if you run fast on the highway it will hurt your fuel economy a little.

With 3.55 rears and Getrag, what speed are you calling fast??

I seldom go over sixty-five, but occassionally, in the western states, eighty-five, or so.

I could sacrifice a MPG, or two, at the higher end of my driving, in favor of lower EGT; but, at my normal speeds, I would rather gain a few MPG, at least until fuel goes back to sixty cents a gallon.

Another thing, are you meaning just swap exhaust housing, or swap the whole turbo??

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im thinking about doing this, if I buy a non-intercooled Cummins. How much tuning is involved after this setup is installed? Because I dont want to have to contantly mess with the thing...
Old 07-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by BearKiller

With 3.55 rears and Getrag, what speed are you calling fast??

I seldom go over sixty-five, but occassionally, in the western states, eighty-five, or so.

I could sacrifice a MPG, or two, at the higher end of my driving, in favor of lower EGT; but, at my normal speeds, I would rather gain a few MPG, at least until fuel goes back to sixty cents a gallon.

Another thing, are you meaning just swap exhaust housing, or swap the whole turbo??

Thanks.
Fast = over 70. It's only an mpg or two, even at high speed. At normal speeds mileage may increase depending on your driving style, but it won't drop.

You can change just the housing or you can swap in a 2nd gen turbo. Whichever works for you.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by SN162
Im thinking about doing this, if I buy a non-intercooled Cummins. How much tuning is involved after this setup is installed? Because I dont want to have to contantly mess with the thing...
I haven't messed with mine since about a week after I installed it. I tuned it mainly on the drive to and from work. Once you have it set up, all you have to do is fill the tank.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 PM

I didn't see Loch mention what he used for a tank...

I know rockjeep73 said he was using stock ww fluid reservoir, but I'm wondering just how long that would last...

if you use an alternate tank, where did anybody mount it?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 PM

when you say how long the ww fluid res would last are you talking about capacity or it holding up? water meth is darn near the same thing a ww fluid. so the tank will be fine. as far as it running out, most systems come with a pretty small res. of corse a play truck can get away with a much smaller tank than a towing rig.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
If you use an alternate tank, where did anybody mount it?
I put this six gallon tank in my tool box ~

Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
You can change just the housing or you can swap in a 2nd gen turbo. Whichever works for you.

Are you meaning standard equipment/OEM turbo from a 2nd Gen.

I see names such as HX35, etc.; what is the name/number designation of the recommended turbo(s) for me??

What is the OEM turbo on my engine called??

What will I get into on the exhaust-pipe end of things, when changing turbos??

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

Are you meaning standard equipment/OEM turbo from a 2nd Gen.

I see names such as HX35, etc.; what is the name/number designation of the recommended turbo(s) for me??

What is the OEM turbo on my engine called??

What will I get into on the exhaust-pipe end of things, when changing turbos??

Thanks.
the 1st Gen has an H1C turbo...

the '94 added a wastegate and called it a WH1C...

in '95 they swapped to an HX35 turbo...

beyond that, I'm not sure...

Greg
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
when you say how long the ww fluid res would last are you talking about capacity or it holding up? water meth is darn near the same thing a ww fluid. so the tank will be fine. as far as it running out, most systems come with a pretty small res. of corse a play truck can get away with a much smaller tank than a towing rig.

how long in regards to capacity...I'd be after cooling/performance when towing my Jeep to the trails, usually a couple hours each way...

Greg
Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

You're gonna need a big tank. The one BC847 has is a little on the small side for a tow rig. No less than 5 gallons, but 8-10 gallons would be ideal.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My tank is a kobota fuel tank,5gln
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A good tank option is the sprayer tanks from Northern Tool. Identical to the Snow upgraded tank, but much cheaper, AFAIK.

Quick Reply: water/methynol