1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

W350 steering and suspension suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W350 steering and suspension suggestions wanted

My steering box just started leaking and when I was under her fitting the exhaust I noticed I need tie rod ends, drag link, and a new pitman arm. I found a bunch of places to get the parts except the pitman arm. Does anyone know where to get one and any suggestions on the best place or brand for the rest of the parts? I plan on replacing the springs soon and wanted to put a small (1" to 2") lift back in her, should I go with the adjustable drag link or stay with the stock one? Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try rockauto.com ?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New springs on the front gained me about 3/4 inch. Drag link I believe you can get at NAPA.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Get a drop pitman arm from any of the lift makers, If you can fit it highly consider going to cross over steering.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bogie
Get a drop pitman arm from any of the lift makers, If you can fit it highly consider going to cross over steering.
I was considering a drop pitman arm if I couldn't find one. What is cross over steering? Do you have a link?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Try rockauto.com ?
They are who I have been dealing with a lot. My neighbor owns a small shop so the local Advanced had been price matching them for us. They are a great company.
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
New springs on the front gained me about 3/4 inch. Drag link I believe you can get at NAPA.
I figure my truck has dropped at least that if not more. The fronts are almost touching the rubber stoppers and the rears are almost on the helpers with no weight in it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have any kind of lift I would look into crossover syeering makes a World of a difference
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jer12377
My steering box just started leaking and when I was under her fitting the exhaust I noticed I need tie rod ends, drag link, and a new pitman arm. I found a bunch of places to get the parts except the pitman arm. Does anyone know where to get one and any suggestions on the best place or brand for the rest of the parts? I plan on replacing the springs soon and wanted to put a small (1" to 2") lift back in her, should I go with the adjustable drag link or stay with the stock one? Thanks
Is there a rod end in the pitman arm? The pitman just has a tapered hole that a rod end goes through, right? If so why would you want to replace it?

The adjustable drag links are always nice, you can correct for any variables, like a little lift. You should be alright with the 2" lift with just an adjustable drag link and I would add a steering stabilizer shock as well. You can also get spacers to bring the point of attachment on the axle up to keep the drag link level.

Best springs available are Alcan Spring, they custom build them for your exact set up, they want to know about bumpers, flat beds, tool boxes, the load in those boxes, placemnt on the truck, they make them strong enough to carry the load but ride as good as possible. They built a set of 10" lift springs for my Blazer, best lift spring I have ever had. They seem spendy, but not much more than an off the shelf skujacker or something.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MrExtreme
Is there a rod end in the pitman arm? The pitman just has a tapered hole that a rod end goes through, right? If so why would you want to replace it?
When I bought the truck the hole was loose but not bad and the drag link was good. So I decided to just buy a new arm when the link went bad. Now the link is bad......and the arm is really bad. I know I have, some where, extra steering boxes with pitman arms off the 74 power wagons I had. I'm wondering if they would work?

The adjustable drag links are always nice, you can correct for any variables, like a little lift. You should be alright with the 2" lift with just an adjustable drag link and I would add a steering stabilizer shock as well. You can also get spacers to bring the point of attachment on the axle up to keep the drag link level.
I like the thought of an extra adjustment, its just that the only place I found sells them is Skyjacker and they want over $200. Gotta start saving my penny's.

Best springs available are Alcan Spring, they custom build them for your exact set up, they want to know about bumpers, flat beds, tool boxes, the load in those boxes, placemnt on the truck, they make them strong enough to carry the load but ride as good as possible. They built a set of 10" lift springs for my Blazer, best lift spring I have ever had. They seem spendy, but not much more than an off the shelf skujacker or something.
I just looked at there web site they seem like a good "AMERICAN" company. There is a local shop around me called Superior Spring. I think they do the same type of spring building so I'm gonna stop there before I call Alcan. Every time I have dealt with them in the past they were very pricey cause they "had" no competitors. At least now I can see who's better, thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM

When I bought the truck the hole was loose but not bad and the drag link was good. So I decided to just buy a new arm when the link went bad. Now the link is bad......and the arm is really bad. I know I have, some where, extra steering boxes with pitman arms off the 74 power wagons I had. I'm wondering if they would work?.
Not sure of fitment from the older trucks. Somebody limp wristed that pitman arm nut, I don't recall ever seeing one of those wore out.

I like the thought of an extra adjustment, its just that the only place I found sells them is Skyjacker and they want over $200. Gotta start saving my penny's..
Unfortunately when it comes to buying 4 wheel drive stuff, these ain't Chevies. Screw that, I am just gonna get the two ends (right hand thread, left hand thread) and a sleeve, just like Chevy does it. An adjustable, 4" drop drag link is only $89 for a GM 1 ton, now I need to do some measuring. Get back to you on this.

I just looked at there web site they seem like a good "AMERICAN" company. There is a local shop around me called Superior Spring. I think they do the same type of spring building so I'm gonna stop there before I call Alcan. Every time I have dealt with them in the past they were very pricey cause they "had" no competitors. At least now I can see who's better, thanks.
I forgot where you were located, I bet shipping from here in CO to you might be the deal breaker. Alcans are around $500 a set.

With you there bro, I have never been to broke to buy American and I think those who intentionally buy import are short of something, but it's not necessarily money!! Even friggin Vice Grips are made in China now!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 AM

I was considering a drop pitman arm if I couldn't find one. What is cross over steering? Do you have a link?
Cross over takes the drag link and moves it to the passenger side of the axle , this does away with a major amount of bump steer.

RCC How-To

Offroad Design kit

Frame Support

there are many companies making crossover parts/kits I used a arm from Blue Torch Fab and pieced together the rest of my system but ORD is highly reviewed for complete kits.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I recommend a reverse rotation steering box, cast iron mount from a '72-'75 "w100-w400" pickup and clearance drag link from rock auto.