1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

W250 needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W250 needs help

Hey group.Purchased 1992 W250 club cab.

Problems:
a) Dana 60 drivers side front spring hanger sheared off and was booger welded on
b) Same side leaf spring center bolt sheared off and axle pushed back 3/4" bending u-bolts.
c) Sam side knuckle wobble(shattered king pin bushing)
d) Steering shaft worn

Remediation:
a) Demo'd existing front hangers and frame bushing(shackles).
b) Installed "Jungles" 2" lifted front spring hanger and HD frame bushing and shackles.
c) Installed new stock replacement leaf pack from SD Suspension(not the seven leaf HD).
d) Rebuild knuckle with new pin, bearings and seals.
e) Borgeson shaft to be installed
f) Bilsteins on their way.

Hang Ups:
a) Distance (outside to outside) of front leaves on hanger about 33.5" (should be the same as stock as the new hanger assembly bolted where the existing rivets were. Distance across rear of front leaves(on shackles is 36")

**Is this a problem?**

b) New leaf packs at negative arch. Actually looks like top leaf is bending 6" in from front hanger. If I didn't have Jim's 2" front hanger would be an inch away from bump stop. Called SD and they confirmed I had the correct springs. (I should have gotten the HD's )
c) Passenger side shock mount bump stop edge looks like it will hit the sway bar weldment on spring plate if bottomed out. Only by about 1/8".

**How would I know if frame was bent? I've been searching for some numbers on line. Maybe go to a body shop see if they can print me out some info?

I think I am going to loosen all bolts on front hanger and spring u-bolts and re-position.

Here is a link to some pictures:

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/...20front%20end/

Here is pics showing the different measurements from front to back

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/...rall%20widths/

Does my front hanger need to be wider?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
earthdad