1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

W250 frame off restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I am working on a '92/'93 W-250 which is getting a 2 inch lift in the front today. I also moved the front axle forward one inch, as I want to run a 35 inch tire with the smallest amount of lift as I can get away with.
It has a badly cracked steering box and the frame has a crack in the same spot as you did. It got me thinking about mounting it in the 2wd position and trying crossover steering.
How did that Offroad Design system work for you?
Going cross over is much better especially with larger tires and as a bonus you won't have that annoying pitman arm contact on left turns that happens with the stock 4x4 box position with larger tires, it will handle especially nice on rough or uneven interstates etc.. as it eliminates bump steer... out here in Arizona where our roads are more "suggestion" than actual pavement these days it really makes a big difference

mikemmw, great restoration! I sold an 1985 Peterbilt 359 EXTENDED hood to a guy outa the U.K back in 2001... asked what he planned to do with it, said he was going to restore it and run it! It had a 286" wheel base with a 63" sleeper powered by a Catipillar 425 hp with 4+5 20 speed tranny, I don't know how he ever got around with your roads over there but he sent me pics of it freshly painted and the leather door panels all redone etc.. in the pic he had a flatbed trailer behind it...
Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ2A
Going cross over is much better especially with larger tires and as a bonus you won't have that annoying pitman arm contact on left turns that happens with the stock 4x4 box position with larger tires, it will handle especially nice on rough or uneven interstates etc.. as it eliminates bump steer... out here in Arizona where our roads are more "suggestion" than actual pavement these days it really makes a big difference

mikemmw, great restoration! I sold an 1985 Peterbilt 359 EXTENDED hood to a guy outa the U.K back in 2001... asked what he planned to do with it, said he was going to restore it and run it! It had a 286" wheel base with a 63" sleeper powered by a Catipillar 425 hp with 4+5 20 speed tranny, I don't know how he ever got around with your roads over there but he sent me pics of it freshly painted and the leather door panels all redone etc.. in the pic he had a flatbed trailer behind it...
Peterbilts and the like are very rare on the roads, you only ever see them on the road when people are heading to shows with them, or in the form of 4 axle wreckers. Our max legal length for an articulated truck and trailer is 54 feet (without special permits and extra costs), it would be perfectly legal to run one on the road on a daily basis for haulage but your max allowable trailer length would be so short it wouldn't be worth using, the European cabovers are useful as they allow us to run a 45 foot long trailer. Our roads don't favour you to be any longer than this any way. A guy I know up the road from me has an 80's Kenworth he's restored and all he uses it for is just riding round the countryside with no trailer.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemmw
Peterbilts and the like are very rare on the roads, you only ever see them on the road when people are heading to shows with them, or in the form of 4 axle wreckers. Our max legal length for an articulated truck and trailer is 54 feet (without special permits and extra costs), it would be perfectly legal to run one on the road on a daily basis for haulage but your max allowable trailer length would be so short it wouldn't be worth using, the European cabovers are useful as they allow us to run a 45 foot long trailer. Our roads don't favour you to be any longer than this any way. A guy I know up the road from me has an 80's Kenworth he's restored and all he uses it for is just riding round the countryside with no trailer.
yea this guy sent me a couple pics of it all prettied up in one pic he had it hooked to what looked like a 28' flat bed (we use those as doubles here in the states) and a pic of it connected to a 5th wheel travel trailer,
Old 01-22-2022, 02:37 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Mike,
Any progress on the gem?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM

Mike,
Any progress on the gem?
Yes there has been a lot of progress Oliver, it's practically finished.
I always find getting round to uploading on forums hard work. Unfortunately I'm so far behind I doubt I'll get chance to bring it up to date on here.
I regularly upload on my instagram, I find it much easier - @w250_1st_gen_cummins
I also make regular youtube videos when there is a good chunk of progress, here's the link to the playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PuuhKAkkJY1DyR
Here's a recent photo of it currently

The following 8 users liked this post by mikemmw:
1STGENFARMBOY (01-25-2022), BHD (01-24-2022), brcron007 (01-25-2022), DevynBurk (01-26-2022), edwinsmith (01-23-2022), MoPowa (01-23-2022), nothingbutdarts (01-23-2022), thrashingcows (01-23-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:30 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
That looks stupendous! Great JOB!

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
mikemmw (01-24-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 03:07 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,687 Posts
That must get a lot of looks cruising around the UK.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:02 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Watched your YouTube videos, you do some fine work, that truck has never had such a well built body. When you wrote that the cab was being sent to a ‘professional’ I couldn’t help but think, “why not get the professional who had done all the previous work to do it?”.

An inspiration to do the body on my build half as well when it comes time for it.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemmw
The plan with this truck was to make it tidy but not so nice that I wouldn’t want to drive it.
Seems that plan went right out the window, hope you still want to drive it, because this truck looks real tidy!
mikemmw (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 04:44 AM

That must get a lot of looks cruising around the UK.
I've not actually got it on the road yet, but I'm sure it will when I do.
Although, I drive an 06 2500 and it gets the odd look but usually flies under the radar, admittedly it doesn't have the presence the 1st gen has.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoPowa
Watched your YouTube videos, you do some fine work, that truck has never had such a well built body. When you wrote that the cab was being sent to a ‘professional’ I couldn’t help but think, “why not get the professional who had done all the previous work to do it?”.

An inspiration to do the body on my build half as well when it comes time for it.
Thank you sir. Well I did all the fab work and don't consider myself a professional. Making the roof piece involved english wheels and shrinker/stretchers.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:25 PM

Received 343 Likes on 241 Posts
All I can say is wow that is impressive. When you think about not only the time that went into your build but also the hurdles you had to cross (importing most of your stuff from another country) it is amazing how quickly this came together. You sir ar an artist with your fab skills and it shows
The following 3 users liked this post by nonrev:
mikemmw (01-25-2022), nothingbutdarts (01-24-2022), thrashingcows (01-24-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by nonrev
All I can say is wow that is impressive. When you think about not only the time that went into your build but also the hurdles you had to cross (importing most of your stuff from another country) it is amazing how quickly this came together. You sir ar an artist with your fab skills and it shows
Thank you very much, it definitely didn't seem quick. It was about 2.5 years of continuous work. I'm having a break from working on it now but will resume later this year hopefully to finish the interior and wiring.
Yeah importing stuff is a *****, average 3 month wait for parts and all the extra costs. I'm so deep in to this project now, I'll have to keep it for life too because trucks this clean just don't have much more value than a rough one does over here.
brcron007 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I have to ask about the side trim, is it original or reproduction.

P.S. that's an extremely fine job you've done.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I have to ask about the side trim, is it original or reproduction.

P.S. that's an extremely fine job you've done.
It is original trim that I have refurbished, it was in a pretty bad state but at least I had it all.
I sanded all what was left of the chrome off them, got some chrome vinyl and applied this to them, then used a hot stapler to repair any cracks and then died the rest of the trim black.
I might have 30 hours in refurbishing it all.

I bought a roll of the new replacement stuff LMC Truck sell, It just didn't look right to me and this was confirmed when I found pictures of some guys who'd used it on their trucks.
To anybody who isn't in to 1st gens they wouldn't know the difference but to anyone who is I feel it would stand out straight away.
nonrev (01-26-2022)

Quick Reply: W250 frame off restoration