1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

W250 frame off restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 AM

I received my fifth order of parts from the US this week, I just keeping thinking of new things I need. The delivery and import tax is kicking my !
My rear quarter took a beating on the trip.

The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That sucks, they must have a bunch of apes loading and unloading. If you are doing a restoration/build you should start your own thread, we love watching builds take shape. We don't have too many folks from across the pond, I hear that the roads any pretty thin for the giant cummins...Mark
Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 AM

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Welcome to the forum! That sucks, they must have a bunch of apes loading and unloading. If you are doing a restoration/build you should start your own thread, we love watching builds take shape. We don't have too many folks from across the pond, I hear that the roads any pretty thin for the giant cummins...Mark
Mark he did start his own thread he just managed to get it 4 pages long in a few hours!
Great work. Love the custom exhaust work.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Mark he did start his own thread he just managed to get it 4 pages long in a few hours!
My bad, I thought that it was another one, Wow! that's the first mistake I've ever made. ...Mark I guess they start running together after a while and there is one that has a very similar name...
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM

I thought it would be pointless to drip feed it so just threw it all up at once, quite a lot of photos to take in in one go.
Thanks, I'm pretty proud of the exhaust, can't wait to finish the tip and get it all tigged up.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 AM

My bad, I thought that it was another one, Wow! that's the first mistake I've ever made. ...Mark I guess they start running together after a while and there is one that has a very similar name...
I've altered the name so hopefully it stands out a bit more, yes roads aren't too wide, especially out in the country where I am. I've got my HGV licence and used to drive trucks a few years ago so the Ram shouldn't be too bad.
maybe368 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
My bad, I thought that it was another one, Wow! that's the first mistake I've ever made. ...Mark
Don't worry, Mark, we have a nice cot all ready for you in the retired administrator's home...Yes, I know all about it since I was put there years ago from another board...The night nurse (the one with the hairy knuckles) tucks you in at night, and sometimes the oatmeal is not lumpy at all...You'll like it here, trust me......Ben
maybe368 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikemmw
I've altered the name so hopefully it stands out a bit more, yes roads aren't too wide, especially out in the country where I am. I've got my HGV licence and used to drive trucks a few years ago so the Ram shouldn't be too bad.
I sold a 66 Porsche 912, rust free Arizona car to a bloke (See I know some England lingo) from London. When he flew over to get it, I was showing him my 68 Impala SS convertible and my 90 Cummins, he wasn't too interested. I asked him why and he said that he would be crazy to drive a big car like that in London. I also asked him what he was going to do with the 912, he said sell it for triple what he paid. Good business if you can find it...Mark
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM

I sold a 66 Porsche 912, rust free Arizona car to a bloke (See I know some England lingo) from London. When he flew over to get it, I was showing him my 68 Impala SS convertible and my 90 Cummins, he wasn't too interested. I asked him why and he said that he would be crazy to drive a big car like that in London. I also asked him what he was going to do with the 912, he said sell it for triple what he paid. Good business if you can find it...Mark
They'd both interest me more than a Porsche. It's been years since I've been to London, it's a real shame when people visit the country and only go to London. The city and the people are a terrible representation of the rest of the country.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:47 PM

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,688 Posts
I am working on a '92/'93 W-250 which is getting a 2 inch lift in the front today. I also moved the front axle forward one inch, as I want to run a 35 inch tire with the smallest amount of lift as I can get away with.
It has a badly cracked steering box and the frame has a crack in the same spot as you did. It got me thinking about mounting it in the 2wd position and trying crossover steering.
How did that Offroad Design system work for you?
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 AM

I am working on a '92/'93 W-250 which is getting a 2 inch lift in the front today. I also moved the front axle forward one inch, as I want to run a 35 inch tire with the smallest amount of lift as I can get away with.
It has a badly cracked steering box and the frame has a crack in the same spot as you did. It got me thinking about mounting it in the 2wd position and trying crossover steering.
How did that Offroad Design system work for you?
It all went together really well and looks good quality stuff, I can't comment on how it performs obviously but I've heard lots of positive things about cross over steering.
I welded the crack up after shot blasting so got really good penetration and moving the box to the 2wd position moves it further back, thus putting less stress on the area of the frame that cracks.
I still plan on making a brace that goes from the frame behind the steering box to the front cross member for added support, you can buy these but there doesn't look to be much to making one.
If you kept the box in 4wd position and welded the frame and fit a brace I would guess that you'd never have any issues and it would save you $440 on the cross over, but as I said, the general consensus is that it is well worth the money.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:03 AM
KRB

Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts
All I can say is WOW!

Impressive work. So, is this about a year into it then? Or just 3 months? Trying to figure out the timeline.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
All I can say is WOW!

Impressive work. So, is this about a year into it then? Or just 3 months? Trying to figure out the timeline.
Thank you. I bought the truck in September 2017, washed it and parked it up.
I brought it into the shed to work on in July 2018 but from then until Christmas 2018 I barely touched it, removed the hood, front bumper and fenders and that was it.
Then beginning of January 2019 I properly started the work and the posts are now up to date so everything in this thread up until this post is pretty much 13 months work, it would be great if I could get that all done in 3 months!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 AM
KRB

Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts
Got it, thanks.

I love the skylights in that building!

Quick Reply: W250 frame off restoration