1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Vibration In Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration In Gas Pedal

THIS IS MY FIRTS POST. THIS IS A GOOD SITE I LEARN A LOT FROM YOU GUYS. I HAVE A VIBRATION AT A CERTAIN RPM I DONT HAVE A TACH BUT THE VIBRATION IS IN THE GAS PEDAL.THANKS.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:06 AM

Brian, can you describe the vibration a little more? What driving conditions are you in when this happens, does it happen when in gear, in park etc?

The vibration you feel is in the foot pedal, but could be originating elsewhere. If you can provide a little more detail, maybe we can help you out a little better.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:31 AM

THE VIBRATION IS IN ALL GEARS AT THE SAME RPM. EVEN WHEN YOU GIVE IT GAS JUST SITTING THERE.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:49 AM

Can you describe the vibration. Is it just in your foot pedal, or does the whole truck vibrate?

Do you notice an engine miss at this rpm? That could explain the vibration, but could be caused by a whole pile of problems. Is there smoke associated with the vibration? Do you loose power?

If you are mechanically inclined, I would suggest picking up a troubleshooting and repair manual from cummins. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. I can look in my manual for you if I get some time and a detailed description, but I'm having a busy day so no guarantees.

I f you give good details, I'm sure the other guys will chime in with some advice for you. Good luck with it.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:11 AM

ONCE YOU GET PAST A CERTAIN RPM IT SMOTHES OUT. IT ALMOST FILLS LIKE THE THROTLE IS FLUTTERING. THERE IS NO POWER LOSS NO SMOKE.COULD IT BE THE THROTLE LINKAGE IT IS VERY LOSE.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM

I'd take care of that then, and see if that corrects the problem. Maybe some new linkage. Doesn't sound like linkage from what you are saying though.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im gonna say your flexplate is going if its a automatic. Go underneath and remove the tin cover to see where your ring gear and torque converter are. I bet youll find metalic type debris. You feel it thru the floorboards etc at all rpms dont you? It a common problem on first gens. If thats the case the trans will have to come out to replace it. you can do a search here for more info. Dodge will get around $280 for it and Cummins will get $90 for it, same part. Some run the 2nd gen plate which is supposed to be a direct replacement. Look in the tech facts I think the part # is there for what you need.
Im curious so let us know. By the way, when typing in capitals it means your screaming at us. Which if its your problem its understandable
Old 11-25-2004, 01:54 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

It may well be the flexplate...they make strange sounds and vibration when theys start to fail.... the one thing you need to be
aware of is they can fail in the blink of an eye, leaving your stranded.
Pull the cover and use a scew drive to try and move the flexplate
front to back. If it moves noticably then next you need to break out a mirror and a flashlight. Look up and see if you can visually identify any cracking.
BTW, Piers Diesel Research has a solid upgrade flexplate they sell, one which I am using in my own truck.
Here is the link to their web site, give them a call..

http://www.piersdiesel.com/

I would try to eliminate other things first though.
Look to see if your throttle mounting bracket, linkage etc is tight for starters..

pb...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:14 AM

My son's 92 had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the injector pump bolts were loose, the vibration became worse and sheared the bolt off that attaches to the block. What a pain to repair!!!! Might be worth checking???.........
Old 11-25-2004, 11:33 AM

I'm thinking that it is most likely not the flex plate if the truck vibrates when sitting in park. Am I off base? I haven't done a flex plate so I don't know, but maybe this will help get the list of potential problems down a bit.

Sorry Brian, I haven't had any chance to look in my manual for you.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by uncleroty
I'm thinking that it is most likely not the flex plate if the truck vibrates when sitting in park. Am I off base? I haven't done a flex plate so I don't know, but maybe this will help get the list of potential problems down a bit.
If the engine is running the flex plate is turning. So yes if it were the flex plate it could vibrate in park.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine sure did. Felt like the truck had solid engine mounts. strange enough it would seem to quit when I hit the brakes Go figure that one. It also toned down at higher rpm. I didnt even notice it till I got home from a 5 hour trip.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Make sure your throttle cable isn't touching the intake manifold or anything else, and it has a slight sag in it between the firewall and the mount. The engine moves relative to the firewall and if there's no slack it will vibrate. Also, when you push on the pedal, the cable moves and wants to straighten out, sometimes against the manifold. Took me awhile to figure that out Jim
Old 12-13-2004, 09:54 AM

Hey guys thanks for the help. it turned out it was the trottle cable rubbing on the brake boster. thanks again
Old 12-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

DUH !!!!!!!! .............5 spd's don't have a flex plate.....sorry...my bad...

pb....