1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Vegoil Conversion: Second Standard Fuel Tank: Will It Work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vegoil Conversion: Second Standard Fuel Tank: Will It Work?

So before I go to the junkyard I decide to take out my spare tire and take a few measurements; then I put the tire in my bed and realize how big the darn thing is. (I actually had to push some of the old Jack in the Box packages out of my bed to make it fit...)

While sweeping empty beer cans out of my bed, I was struck with an epipheny...

Why don't I just install a second stock tank on the other side of the drive shaft? Oh, well, of course; the exhaust is in the way. No biggie, that just means that I have to reroute the exhaust someplace else.

I'm now thinking that if I were to install a second standard tank opposite the first one, then I would need less heated line, I wouldn't need any new crossmembers or fabricated mounts, I could keep the darn spare tire, still use an in-bed auxilliary tank for extra vegoil storage capacity, and use a stock filler neck cut into the other side of the bed.

As for the exhaust, I'm thinking that if I were to put a splitter on it right at the bottom of the downpipe, then I could use two 45's and route the exhaust onto both sides of the truck, and then use runningboard mounts and a couple stacks off of a tractor to hook up a couple sideliners.

So, anybody have any thoughts about this fascinating development?
Anybody ever install a second standard fuel tank before?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you just install a ramcharger gas tank, where the spare tire mounts. Theres really no room on the other side because of the exhaust.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovemysan
Why don't you just install a ramcharger gas tank, where the spare tire mounts. Theres really no room on the other side because of the exhaust.
Because I realized that I really don't want to stick the spare anywhere else, although I'd be darned if I'm ever going to use it, and because this way seems to have a lot of advantages.

Mainly, less heated line is needed and you have existing brackets and crossmembers. Don't know about the filler routing, however; I'll probably stick that out the bed.

And I get to have an excuse now for sideliner exhaust. I think that I'm going to the truck junkyard and stealing three stacks; two for the sideliners, one for a downpipe, and then finding a Y off of one and a few 45's.

Ohh, this is gonna be sweet, provided that I can find what I need.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how you'll have room for the exhaust. My fuel tank runs 5" from the rear axle to 12" under the cab. It just doesn't seem like you'll have room for a 4" exhaust. I guess you'll have to get creative
Old 04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovemysan
I don't see how you'll have room for the exhaust. My fuel tank runs 5" from the rear axle to 12" under the cab. It just doesn't seem like you'll have room for a 4" exhaust. I guess you'll have to get creative
The thought was take the downpipe down to below the frame and attach a T or Y onto it. From each side of that you go straight out to the sides of the truck and then use a 90 on each side to point the exhaust stacks down the side.

So the exhaust is going to really cut down on ground clearance, but I think it should look good and I never off road.

Right?
Nothing the matter with using 90's, is there?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the process of mounting a Ramcharger tank in my truck, seems it would still be easier than redoing all the exhaust. Also I will have both fillers on the same side of the truck rather than one on each side which seems to me would be a PITA for filling.

There are a few differnt options for mounting a spare, front mounted on the bumper in front of the grill, swing away tire mount on the rear bumper, or in the box. Mine is going to go is the far rear left corner behind the wheel well, won't be in my field of vision, won't interfere with the coss bed tool box and easy to reach when needed to be removed such as when the slide in camper goes in. Seems simple enough. Most truck accessory shops have a bolt in kit that allows the tire to be mounted standing up against the box.

The Ramcharger tank doesn't need any fabricating of brackets, just use the ones from the Ramcharger. The only fabbing I'll need to do is cutting and mounting the filler neck.

BTW 90* bends in exhaust are bad, try to use a Y pipe and 45* bends. Also for the part that is dualed you won't need 4". 2.5" would probably be fine and reagin some ground clearance.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

I went to the junkyard last week and found a place with a few Ramcharger tanks.

Tank, both crossmembers, straps, filler neck, sender, fuel door, and sheet metal around fuel door for $175.00... (Good deal, right?)

Since I couldn't find any semi junkyards anywhere (the couple that WERE here closed a year or two ago ) the stack idea is on hiatus and I'll be installing a Ramcharger tank.

This Saturday, however, the only semi junkyard within 100 miles is having a half-off sale, so I may come home with a couple stacks yet.

I'll hopefully end up with a Ramcharger tank and a second standard tank, with a 100 gallon transfer flow in the bed... That almost gets me as much capacity as I'd want.

To clarify the stack idea, 90's are just about all that'd work while still looking decent and not totally going crazy with welds, and I'm planning on tucking the pipe underneath the lip of the body in order to maintain clearence, weld mounts onto it without looking ugly, and avoid leg burns while leaving the vehicle.

I'm thinking that even with 90's, a five inch downpipe going into two five inch pipes would be far beyond adequate.