1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE rebuild with pics Look inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint inside the pump and on internal pump parts is not good. I hope this is a core pump.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Paint inside the pump and on internal pump parts is not good. I hope this is a core pump.
This was just for show and tell, every last bit of paint was cleaned out before reassembly and the rest of the pump was taken apart, just had not got to it at that time.

I don't like to just hose the hole thing down with paint after its all back together, I wanted to make it were you could see every thing I was pointing out. Hard to see it all if you just do it all one color after its all done.

Any time you would like to show us all the correct way to do it I would love to see your wright up.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Going a little farther you can remove the governor assembly

1st remove the jam nut at the front of the pump and unscrew the shaft
slowly slide it out and then all the parts will be free and can be removed
Don't be afraid if the weights in the governor fall out they are easy to re assemble.

then You can remove the (2) 3 - sided studs on the side of the pump You can buy the tool from Bosch or you drive a 6-pint 1/2" socket over it and get it out. I suggest the correct socket. when they are removed then you can get the other levers out.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Let me say it again . . .. "I appreciate your taking the time to photograph and type all the motions".

I'm gonna have to dig into my heap before too long. This is gonna help sooooo much.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM

To remove the roler ring you have to remove theis clip that covers a pin that holds a rod that links it to the KSB piston.

then you can remove the piston and ring

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Now you can remove the shaft

There is a small keyway that will fall out its fine it drives the (supply pump) vain pump inside.

You can also see the two Buffers that will need to be replaced.

this is the supply pump suport ring

Pump

here is the pump The small notches must go back to the inside and sould be placed in the same slot they came out of.

Then with the front seal removed you can see the two bushings that can be replaced if worn badly.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Fantastic write-up! The hard work is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM

now to dis asemble the top

first you will have to drive out the 2 BB's on the side
Just drive from one side till the BB falls out of the other side
Then drive the pin back to the side you started on till the other bb falls out.
Then the pin can be removed and teh AFC lever removed

then remove the allen plug from the front of the housing
youcan then remove the allen head plug that holds the O-ring in place around the small pin that rides on the Fuel pin.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, this is great! It is going to enable me to go into this pump with much less fear of hosing everything up.
Now, perhaps I missed it as I looked at all the pics, but where do you get the parts for resealing this pump? Is there a kit?
Is there a write up of what to inspect in a case where there might be something else wrong, besides leaks? I ask because the truck I just bought supposedly needs a new pump, and I pulled the shut-off solenoid today to find metal shavings in that hole, so I'm not sure what I will find when I go into it, or how to tell that something is out of spec, although not obviously broken/worn.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Awesome write up and pics! Thanks for taking the time.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1stgen545, sorry for editing some of your pics in this thread, to use in my post in the "starwheel mod" thread. I couldnt find pics on the web so i used yours not thinking about asking. i wasnt trying to take credit for the pics themselves.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awsome pictures!! Nice job on the writeup!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
1stgen545, sorry for editing some of your pics in this thread, to use in my post in the "starwheel mod" thread. I couldnt find pics on the web so i used yours not thinking about asking. i wasnt trying to take credit for the pics themselves.
Not a prob like I said I was just in a mood that night I found them. I put it all on the web for people to find and use.

Thanks to every one for your comments. I know it is a little slow going together but I will get the post all finished one day and with a little more detailed write up to go with the pics and part #'s
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stamey
Man, this is great! It is going to enable me to go into this pump with much less fear of hosing everything up.
Now, perhaps I missed it as I looked at all the pics, but where do you get the parts for resealing this pump? Is there a kit?
Is there a write up of what to inspect in a case where there might be something else wrong, besides leaks? I ask because the truck I just bought supposedly needs a new pump, and I pulled the shut-off solenoid today to find metal shavings in that hole, so I'm not sure what I will find when I go into it, or how to tell that something is out of spec, although not obviously broken/worn.

Thanks,
Chris
Seal kit Bosch DGK121

Mostly check the case were the rolers rub along the side ( a little were is normal) and the pump head and plunger

Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 AM

where did you get the triangle looking socket thats made by bosch? did you homebrew it or buy it somewhere?

Quick Reply: VE rebuild with pics Look inside