1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE pump timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VE pump timing marks

Question guys. I'm trying to bump my timing 1/8". It looked as tho there was not enough adjustment to do that so I took a nut off and sure enough there's not. The chisel marks on the pump and cover housing is in line and the pump is rolled fully towards the engine. Do you think someone timed the pump wrong??
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by etcdiesel
Question guys. I'm trying to bump my timing 1/8". It looked as tho there was not enough adjustment to do that so I took a nut off and sure enough there's not. The chisel marks on the pump and cover housing is in line and the pump is rolled fully towards the engine. Do you think someone timed the pump wrong??
The only way to know is to put a dial indicator on it and time it by the book that way.

Procedure is in the stickies.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by etcdiesel
Mine is pushed to the head per instructions that came with my rebuilt pump. Being a good doobie, I followed instructions and she runs great. No smoke, 20 plus mpg's, passes emissions test every year without fail, I cannot imagine it running any better. I have no idea what they may have done to the pump, but the mechanical timing of the engine is stock. Don't know about yours, but how does it run?...Mark
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Depending on the application/year, not all will be timed to the same degree. At least, I know with the ppumps they aren't. I assume the same is possible on VEs.

Mine ran good and gave fantastic mileage with it one tooth advanced and all the way away from the head. Now it is + 1 tooth and all the way to the head and the power increase is pretty substantial but it doesn't get as good fuel mileage.

I think the happy medium is somewhere between the 2 for me.

What I'm getting at is getting it right will just take time. There is no one answer for all. If it is all the way to the head try jumping a tooth and pulling it all the way away from the head and slowly tune/advance it until you like how it runs.