1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE pump part nos.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Art

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VE pump part nos.

I need a part no. and/or place to buy an overhaul kit for a VE pump. My truck won't start and I have read every thread I can find on this problem and nothing fixes it.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:VE pump part nos.

Overhaul kits can be purchased at any Bosch certified shop. However, if you plan on doing it yourself, you might want to think about the cost of it. The tools alone to rebuild a VE and do it right is around 450-500 bucks. Then you have the parts cost, and then the need for a test flow bench. You would probably be better off to buy a new one from Piers or a rebuilt one at that.<br><br>BTW: are you getting fuel to the injectors? Are you getting fuel to the inlet of the VE pump? A quick check can verify if the pump is actually DOA or not. If you are not getting fuel to the inlet of the VE, my first place check would be the lift pump and the fuel filter for restriction. If you are getting fuel to the inlet of the VE but not out the injectors, check the fuel shutoff solenoid, if the solenoid turns out to be good then the only thing left to be wrong would be the VE.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Art

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Monty,<br>Thanks for the reply. I am getting fuel to the injectors, at least fuel comes out when I losened the couplings. But no smoke at the exaust and no firing. Thought maybe I'm not getting enough pressure to open the injectors. BTW, I've replaced the filter and lift pump and removed the plunger from the fuel solenoid. Also, I took the retaining nut off an injector but it seems to be stuck tight. Is there a trick to loosen it without breaking it?<br>Art
Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some good penatrating oil such as PB Blaster and soak it down for a couple of hours. When ready, take a piece of wood and hit around the injector body a couple of times. Hold the body while trying to unscrew the nut and it should loosen off. Sure sounds like the injection pump from what you are saying. Have you disconnected the grid heaters and gave it a little shot of ether to see if it would fire?