1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE advance mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im talking about full throttle on a maxed out pump.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 AM

Dave,
Have you got a chance to modify the advance piston in your pump yet, if so what were the results. And what side of the piston did you shave? Also, did you play with the spring or shims at all?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Start thinking about 'fill time' as well guys.....that's all I'm gonna say on this one....

pb...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 AM

No secrets!

You pump guys ...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bushy
Start thinking about 'fill time' as well guys.....that's all I'm gonna say on this one....

pb...
Let the guessing begin

You must be refering to the time it takes to fill and pressurize the backside of the timing piston in order to move it. Hmmm...more volume to that area? If this is what you mean then you are saying that we not only need to modify how far the timing advance will travel, but how fast it will adjust.

I guess first I would need to know how the port is fed. I assume it comes through the upper opening in the piston where pin #4 (in diagram) comes through. Which would mean that the pressure on the timing piston is relative to the case pressure inside the pump. But I could be wrong.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM

Pastor Bob,

If I may ask, what are your findings on the control collar during WOT with a maxed pump, does it completely cover the window port in the rotor and still have enough travel to return to idle without a runaway?

Or are we losing more than we think here.

Cory
Old 03-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rockjeep73
Dave,
Have you got a chance to modify the advance piston in your pump yet, if so what were the results. And what side of the piston did you shave? Also, did you play with the spring or shims at all?
Never have messed with it, too nervous about leaking. I wanted to shim the KSB housing out for more travel, but after finding out how high the case pressure (80 psi) is I knew sealing it would be very difficult.

I think Bushy is talking about fill time on the pump plunger, not on the timing piston.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
''I think Bushy is talking about fill time on the pump plunger, not on the timing piston.''

That's what I was thinking! How does the saying go? Great minds think alike...no, that's not it...oh yeah, Fools seldom differ! J/K, Dave

I guess I'm not sure how plunger barrell fill time can be affected by timing...wouldn't it (barrell filling) be more sensitive to RPM?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Yes, which probably contributes to even more retarded timing at higher rpms -- if the plunger is not full of fuel, it will delay the point at which pop-pressure is reached. "pop-pressure" being a highly technical term . . .
Old 03-08-2006, 07:25 PM

Well guess I was way out of line on this one.

But how is plunger fill time related to timing. The faster the rotor speed, higher RPM, the shorter the fill time.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 PM

Alec, what you said makes sense, but my new question is, if the plunger barrell is not full of fuel, what is it filling with? It can't be air, obviously...

edit: maybe the pump just plain starves of fuel, decreasing the power, retarding the timing, and slowing the whole thing down till it can get back up to pressure? If that were the case, adjusting the spool and overflow valves to allow more volume to flow through the pump while maintaining the same pressure may be in order...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Im assuming the spool and overflow valve control the amount of fuel that enter and exit the pump and maintain the pressure. As long as the pump is maintaining pressure at high RPM's then there is no reason to increase the volume that is pushed through the pump. Unless the pressure drops off which would call for a larger volume of fuel in order to maintain pressure.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM

''Unless the pressure drops off which would call for a larger volume of fuel in order to maintain pressure.''

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the stock spool and overflow valves can't support 3200 and 4200 rpm gov springs and thirsty injectors and ground afc levers etc etc

edit: ok, now who's gonna drill and tap their AFC housing and plumb a FP gauge into the cab AND videotape a WOT bonzai run?!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 PM

If the pressure were dropping off in the case then it would affect the ability to comletely fill the rotor. Wouldnt it also affect the amount of dynamic timing, as in less case pressure means less dynamic timing?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:11 PM

I'm thinking the rotor has to fill with fuel, since the pump is completely filled. Even if the pressure dropped to, say, 40psi, that's still 40psi, but I agree that this would make the dynamic advance almost nill, which would pull back top end horsepower. Come ON, Pastor, we're trying here--throw us a bone, eh?

Quick Reply: VE advance mechanism