1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Vacuum pump oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vacuum pump oil leak.

I posted this on another site and didn't get a respose, guess I wasn't asking how to turn up the power.

I have the inner seal, o-ring and gasket for vacuum pump to the gear case and the manual. I have read thru the section that pretains to removeng the vacuum pump and etc and seems pretty straight forward.

I'm fairly certain that I can get the vacuum pump out of the gear case and seperate the power steering pump from the vacuum pump but how hard is it to replace the seal and what else should I look out for when doing this job????? Any special tools needed.

How hard is it to reinstall the vacuum pump to gear case and should I use some sort to sealer on the gasket????

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the directions I used. It wasen't very hard to do, just take your time. I found that I had to reach some of the bolts from the top as well as the bottom. If you had a friend that could help I think it would go a little faster.

http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...c;f=3;t=000360

I didn't use any special tools and I didn't use any sealant. Keep things as clean as possible when you take the pump apart.

Make sure the seal is made of Viton material. It will withstand higher temps.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

You also want to pay special attention to the mating process.
If you can't get it to slip together real easily you need to back off and try again.
ANY damage to the vacuum pump or a poor alignment will very quickly translate to more PS pump trouble....
My brother went thru 9 of em till the dealer took our advice and replaced the vacuum pump. Even though they said they check it out and it was "in spec" it still had enough play/slop to damage a brand new PS pump in 3-4 weeks.

Pastor Bob....
Old 04-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For future reference, you can also find the part numbers for the oil seal and O-ring in our Tech Facts section.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the fast replys. I didn't think that there was a seal made of Viton for this replacement. I will certainly get one. The one I have is manufactured by National (Federal Mogul) and I'm betting that it is not Viton. I only want to do this job once.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Jim
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM

Monty, that's the o ring I bought for mine but it was not the right one for the coupler adapter or the o ring betweeen the pump halves.

Turboaz- you can find the seal here. http://www.intsealpack.com
Old 04-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have the right o-ring size?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 PM

Seal update.

I got ahold of intsealpack this AM and was told I would have to obtain the seal from a local supplier. This is no big deal becuse we have an account with them anyway.

One little problem, intsealpack and the local supplier have no seals in stock and it will take 2-3 weeks before I will get them. I will order in the AM. I also will try and measure the oring tomorrow and get some of them also.

The leak is only a drip now and then, I hope it dosn't really let go before the seals arrive.

I will keep everybody posted.

Jim
Old 04-21-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Monty
Thanks for the heads up. Do you have the right o-ring size?
Monty, no I didn't measure mine when I had it out and since it was in good shape I reused it. I've been trying to get the size so I'll have it. Maybe TurboAZ will measure his and let us know.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM

o-ring size

I tried to measure the o-ring I have from when I bought the original seals. This is what I came up with: 2.00 x 55 seamed good but it was more on the smaller size. 2.00 x 55 isn't a standard size but 2,00 x 54.50 is and has a cross reference number of S55. The next standard size is 2.00 x 55,50 and has a cross reference number of S56.

So this is what I'm going to do before I order these items in the AM: measure one more time and see what gives and if I can't make up my mind then I'm going to order both the 2.00 x 55 and
2.00 x 54.50 and see what happens. I will have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the seal to come in. I wii update on size when I replace the seals,

Jim
Old 04-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

So, judging by your readings so far, the seal O.D. is 55 I.D. is 50 and the width is 2mm?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:41 PM

o-ring size

I measured a couple of times ans still come up with an I.D. of 55 an O.D. of 59 x 2 mm thick. Orings and sold by I.D. and thickness, so the above ring would be 2.00 x 55.

This the best I could come up with. When I actually do the repair I will let everybody know the out come.

Jim
Old 04-23-2004, 07:47 PM

That's the size I couldn't find on my pump. One was larger and thinner the other was smaller and thicker. Awating your further input.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:42 PM

Seals and O-rins

Well I ordered the viton seals and the 2 x 55 o-rings the other day. There is a possibility that the stuff will be in less than 3 weeks as first stated from the supplier. So now it is a waiting game. I ordered some spares just in case things go wrong. No what I mean, Vern?

Thanks again for the replys and good info. Gotta get this job done before it gets real hot here, already some days in the 100's more to come.

Jim
Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I redone mine 2 days ago. The rubber gasket material that I had used 2 years ago finally went brittle and cracked. This time I went back with a thin fel pro gasket rated for oil and a little bit of Detroit Diesel Gasket Eliminator. So far so good.

TurboAZ, what supplier did you get the seal, and o-rings from? In the future, I plan on fixing mine right.

Quick Reply: Vacuum pump oil leak.