1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

vacum pump-power steering pump!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacum pump-power steering pump!

need some help. tore into it today to replace seals! and cant get back together now. how do u get the vacuum pump side with the cross shaped drive coupling to line up with the powersteering pump drive tangs lined up?? iv tried several times and i cant c what im doing when u put the to together. any tricks to this? bumped starter a couple of times to c if it would catch and go in but didnt. thanks!
Old 05-24-2003, 03:50 PM

Re:vacum pump-power steering pump!

i thought i had it in so i tighend everything down and pull out of the drive way and i had no power steering and i had fuild puking out of the cap. so i didnt had it on right. i just need to know if there r any tricks to getting this lined up right everytime i try it doesnt feel right.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:57 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Hey '440,

Here is exactly what it details in the manual for this procedure...

1) Install the two pump body spacers.
2) Rotate the drive gear until the steering pump and vacuum pump drive dogs align. Install the steering pump onto the vacuum pump bracket. Use care to avoid damaging the oil seal in the vacuum pump during installation.The steering pump housing and spacers must mate completely with the vacuum pump bracket.
3) Install the 3 vacuum pump bracket-to-steering pump nuts. Tighten to 18 ft/lbs.
4) Position a new gasket on the vacuum pump assembly, use sealer if necessary to retain gasket.
5) Align and install the pump assembly on the engine. Ensure the steerin pump stud is inserted into the block bracket. Tighten the pump-to-engine block attaching bolts to 57 ft/lbs.
6) Install the steering pump to attaching bracket nut and tighten to 18 ft/lbs.
7) Remove plug and install the oil pressure sending unit and electrical connector (this assumes you plugged the sender unit hole when you dissasembled it)
8) Install the oil feed line to the vacuum pump. Tighten the oil line connection to 5 fp/lbs.
9) Install the fluid hoses to the power steering pump. Tighten the pressure fitting at the pump to 22 ft/lbs.
10) Install and clamp the hose on the vacuum pump.
11) Fill reservoir with power steering fluid only.
12) Start and run engine. Check the operation of the brakes.

Well that's it.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:31 PM

hey thanks for that bushy!! i have the manual i just worked for a 1hr or better trying to get it lined back up and couldnt so i took a break then went back out and i just pushed it right in on the first time i was so mad! : all that time tryin to get it in and 5 seconds it went right in!!! crazy how somethings work! it really wasnt that bad of a job at all it went better than what i thought it was going to be. thanks again! Andy