1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Using ATF or WMO as a fuel additive/substitute: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using ATF or WMO as a fuel additive/substitute: Questions

Hey guys,

So I've been reading about using waste motor oil and ATF and the like in with the fuel to up mileage and also to offset fuel costs a bit.

I have a few questions:

1. I have about 8 quarts of ATF that I bought for one of my old vehicles, and is not compatible with any of my current vehicles. I'm not at home and can't remember which type of ATF it is. It's new in the bottle, so can I throw that into the tank without any ill effects? It's just taking up space and I don't really see myself using it for anything else.

2. With waste motor oil, can I run it through a special sock or something, without adding filters to my truck? Would that suffice? Does anyone have any advice on what cheap/efficient method I could use to filter the stuff, previous to burning it?

3. Should I pre-mix either of the above in a bucket or something, with some diesel, before I add it, or can I just dump a few quarts in the tank and let it mix itself?

4. Is there any reason I SHOULD NOT use either of the above?

5. Does it matter if the oil/atf is synthetic or dyno?

I'm thinking of adding a few quarts per tank, rather than a high ratio, just to get rid of the stuff and see how it effects performance/mileage...I just don't want to ruin my pump or my engine from doing so.

Thanks!

damon
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM

ATF is a common additive for years, but many people will debate not to do this for some reason or another. Doesn't matter what kind.

WMO is debatable too, cause your putting oil in the engine through the injection system that could have fine metals etc in them. However, I believe Cummins actually says you can run a 5% blend of WMO! That's 1 gallon in 20 gallons of diesel! I wouldn't run more than a quart or two at a time though. Expect slightly smelly, hazy exhaust.

As far as filtering goes? IDK, depends how picky you are. If you container was perfect clean and no dirt was fallin off the truck into the pan when it was being drained you could arguably dump it in. I would at least filter it through some cloth into an ultra clean bucket then pour it in. I wouldn't waste your time pouring it in a funnel through a filter direct into your truck. You'll be there for a LONG time. Ask me how I know
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got two(4 now) GIANT pretzel tubs and cut the top off one and bottom off the other. Drilled some holes in the screw on top and screwed on a coffee filter. One gallon at a time, change filter and pour into tank. !!Also need to mention the GIANT Magnet!! I rest each gallon(used washer fluid container) of used oil on this magnet for a day before i pour it into the filtering unit. I don't think it makes much difference but i eliminate a bunch of sludge and particles that would otherwise be clogging my fuel filter. I've done about 5gallons to 10 gallons diesel.

As far as ATF is concerned, one guy runs 90% with no problems, theres an article on this somewhere. I've done about 5gallons to 10 gallons diesel.

ATF is by far nicer to burn, it has less of a smell and doesn't smoke as much. You also have to consider carbon build up... burning waste oil and used atf will cause your exhaust parts to build up deposits faster. If your towing i think the temperatures burn alot of the carbon off, not sure of this may be old wise tale.

I may have missed something...but idk
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Oh yeah i forgot.... doesn't matter if its syn or dyno at the temperatures seen in the diesel motor its not an issue. ATF is in the middle of the combustion points low and high temp of diesel fuel. Means it takes more heat to ignite it and doesn't burn as hot.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
Oh yeah i forgot.... doesn't matter if its syn or dyno at the temperatures seen in the diesel motor its not an issue. ATF is in the middle of the combustion points low and high temp of diesel fuel. Means it takes more heat to ignite it and doesn't burn as hot.
I have heard that syn can clog up fuel filters though so check em often..
Old 03-03-2010, 03:25 PM

**Thanks trkenvy
I want to put fuel pressure gauge next to my other ones in dash.

Also want to upgrade fuel supply with larger tubing and an assortment of filters.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

I have run many gallons of wmo and had no problems at all. I dont run it in the winter cause it seems to smoke more than I like. I mix it 50 50 with fuel and then filter it. It is just easier to get it through the filter when it is a little thinner. Some say that synthetic dosent mix well with the fuel but I have no experience first hand. I have stayed away from synthetic just to avoid any possible problems. I have also run atf and never noticed any difference seemed to burn just like wmo.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am saving up oil changes in some 55 gal drums I have. Cant wait to have the time to filter it up and start adding it to my tank.. Just the 91.5 though lol
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM

My truck loves it it runs better gets better milage and a little more power.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 PM

does anyone know about citgo 1740 oil. im suppost to be getting 40 to 50 gal. a week used, but ive fallen behind on my pm's
Old 03-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I've ran both with no Ill effect. I've gone as heavy as a 40% mix. My only issue with atf is if you get dipped by a DOT offical. They will think it's AG diesel and red tag your truck untill you could prove it's not AG fuel (at least that's what it Hear, no experience with the subject)
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM

tell him to smell it... feel it... taste it.... its atf baby ;-) Or tell him to light his dripping rag on fire and see what color it burns... but then again talking to a brick wall just makes you insane.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,687 Posts
You can get in trouble with WMO too if you are not paying road tax on it.
You need to keep a log of how much you use in a year and send of the approprite tax per gallon to be completely safe.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM

im sure you not allowed, its illegal to burn these alternative fuels over the road. You need a blenders license and then, pay tax on how many gallons you mix. Its another game of risks vs. rewards.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:37 PM

There is a guy on here that got in trouble for doing it. I never worried about it but I just drive local. Although I did use wmo on my trip to pittsburgh a few years ago. I got my best milage ever on that trip, 26 mpg empty.

Quick Reply: Using ATF or WMO as a fuel additive/substitute: Questions