1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Urgent! Fuel gelled, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent! Fuel gelled, now what?

Very cold (-27)here lately, first cummins diesel engine I've owned so forgive my stupidity. Engine turned over fine, but after idling about five minutes truck shut off. <br><br>Assumption: gelled fuel. Now that it's warm (30) the truck won't start. Engine will turn over. <br><br>Question: does it sound like the fuel pump need priming? If so, HOW!!!???!!! I don't have a service/owner's manual, and I need my truck back before my wife stops hauling me around. <br><br>1990 first generation.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Re:Urgent! Fuel gelled, now what?

I am betting that you have an ice problem.

The first thing that I would do is make sure that the truck isn't getting fuel by smelling/looking at the exhaust while cranking. If nothing is coming out, then it is a good bet no fuel is getting in.

Be careful: if you let the heating grids cycle on without starting the engine, and then turn the key off and back on causing them to cycle again, you can burn them out! Once they have cycled, you need to let them sit for I think three minutes . . .

If no fuel, then I would drain the fuel filter -- there is another extensive thread all about this (FILTERS) just a couple posts back all about the fuel filter, draining it, changing it, etc. You might find that there is a lump of ice in the bottom of the filter -- which would be indicated by nothing coming out when you try to open the drain. If you don't get a good flow out of the drain when you pump it, try heating the filter with a hair dryer, trouble lamp, whatever will melt ice without lighting anything on fire. Once it is warm, try draining it again, to get the water that you melted out.

If the above doesn't get the truck started, or fuel flows well out of the drain, then I would change the fuel filter.

If you end up thinking you have ice in the lines, you can use de-icer -- look for isopropyl based de-icer though, as methyl alcohol is bad for your fuel system. I don't like to use de-icer period.

I can't believe, if the truck is really up to 30 deg F, that you have a gel problem still. However, in a gelling emergency, you can run straight number 1 Kerosene through the system to dissolve the gel, and up to a 50/50 blend to actually operate on.

Once the truck is running, and you are sure the filter is good and the water is drained, you should be all set buying local fuel (unless you are down in North Carolina or something, and there was a cold snap I didn't hear about).

Good luck,

Alec
Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
personal ad spaming is digging up some old threads....from 2003! Mod might need to ban this guy....