1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Upside Down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upside Down?

Anyone see any reason that in mounting the Manifold Upside down and putting the turbo on Top would Hurt anything? I put it on this way and everything looks ok. I know I have to make a longer oil supply hose and redo the Return line and also make a New Down Pipe (Was gonna do that anyway) but it Gives me Tons of room that I so need. I am thinking about sending the manifold, Turbo Housing and new Downpipe in to have Ceramic coated. and then get the VCs Chromed
Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, guys with twins do it that way to make room for the bottom turbo. Just reclock everything so the drain points straight down, all you should need it a longer piece of hose at the bottom.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:46 PM

Cool Beans, That is good news
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM

They sell chromed VC's if you want them. They may be at Cummins Store. I don't remember right now but I have seen a complete chrome kit for them. Not sure of the $$ though.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Mopar performance sells the chrome VC's, heater lines, and alt bracket. I have no idea about the cost, I was going to check into them, but haven't gotten around to it. There's a page just for CTD's in the Mopar Performance Catalog. Too bad it's just a page lol. They have a whole SECTION for the 2.2 /2.5 turbo motors. that'd be nice.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Maybe that is where I saw them. I have the Heater lines and Alt. bracket. Now just to get those VC's someday. In the mean time, I keep mine painted nicely. Have changed from Black to Blue to Red and now White to match the truck.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:15 PM

What is the website of the place to get the chrome goodies?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:04 PM

I,m having some of my parts powder coated crome half the cost of crome looks good.Will post oictures when I get the parts back.Going to polish my own comp housings.
BigBully
I took my stock air box out to make room for bigger twins going to a Vintage air system have alot more room to work with.Nice truck
Dale
Old 02-18-2005, 06:12 PM

I checked with Rocky Mountain Cummins today and they can get the Chrome VC kits and they are like $158. I have ta wait fer a spell on those
Old 02-19-2005, 12:38 AM

Well that was a big Freakin waste of time, Yes the twin guys do turn the manifold over but they put that turbo on Backwards, Putting it on Frontwards puts the housing right against the manifold and holds it off about a quarter inch. So now I either have to have a spacer Machined and use longer studs or just put it back and keep My AC unit like it is.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:24 AM

Better to live and learn than just live!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Adminstrator-ess

BB - You can reclock both housings on the turbo to make it fit right. Another option you might want to consider if you have the hood clearance is the heavy truck/industrial manifold that tucks the turbo in close to the engine. The turbo flange is directly above/below the manifold instead of out to the side on an angle like the Dodge manifold. The reason our manifolds were done this way is to clear the heat exchanger on auto trans trucks.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:27 AM

I had the Turbo apart and Put it back together and it puts the Stage IV housing right on the manifold. I cant see any other way to clock it different. I will run to Cummins and see what they have, They told me yesterday they had all different kinds of manifolds. I could swear that on a Ford my Buddy has that the turbo is tucked closer to the engine But Mark at PDR said its the Same exact manifold and your telling me It was done that way on the Dodges to compensate for the heat exchanger. So I am wondering why the Ford looked that way to me, You must be right and he is not? Ok well Thanks again for the help. Im going to Cummins.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, the truck manifold puts the turbo flange on about a 3" riser directly above/below the manifold. I don't know if that'll be enough to clear the Stage IV compressor. Take the turbo with you when you go shopping.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im guessing most know the valve covers are aluminum, just use a chemical stripper to remove the paint, and polish them, it looks as nice as chrome and its free.

Quick Reply: Upside Down?