1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Unlucky and at the same time very lucky

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Unlucky and at the same time very lucky

Hi all... I was on my way down to Mexico yesterday, when a sudden dust storm hit near Casa Grande and caused a 22 car crash that killed 3. Make that a 21 car and 1 first gen (mine) . The lucky part is that the first collision happened in front of me and myself and the 4 cars behind me were able to stop and not hit anything. I got out of my truck to see if I could help and a big ole Peterbuilt plowed into the line of cars, pushing them all the way into my 90. The other lucky part is the 1 that hit me was a high Bronco that missed my receiver hitch and mashed my bumper into my nearly pristine tailgate . Don't have pics yet, but I will post when I get them. The really good part is that myself and the Bronco that was pushed into me were the only 2 vehicles that drove away. Bummer for those that died, I have lived in AZ all my life and have seen many dust storms, but when the visibility went from great to zero in a matter of seconds, I was shocked. My advise to everyone...Slow down a little...Happy holidays Mark
Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, glad you were okay. The pictures weren't pretty, as some people died by burning, while trapped in their cars.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

I did 26 years on the Phoenix fire department, I retired 7 years ago, and my first reaction was to run towards the fire with my little fire extinguisher. I quickly realized that i might as well pee on it, so I then told everyone to move away from the fire, especially because there can be ANYTHING in a trailer. I was amazed how people want to be close to extreme danger. It is really sad about those kids and the father running into his own son. When I had no visibility, there were still cars going 75...What are they thinking?

I think that probably someone stopped in the lane of traffic and a semi plowed into them...Mark

Here is a link if anyone is interested, my truck is in the median, because I moved it so it wouldn't burn up...The girl, Emily in the video, is the one that was pushed into me in the Bronco...other piece of luck

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...dent22-ON.html

Last edited by maybe368; 12-23-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM

That was a sad story to hear about. I travel that road to see my family in Serria Vista. I never though sand storms could be so bad but they are.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM

WOW! That was intense! I have seen dust storms in the mid west during the spring when farmers are plowing the fields but nothing like that. So sorry to hear about the deceased. Mark you were on Phoenix FD correct? Did you know a firefighter named Todd Harms? The last I heard about him he was a lieu. and now maybe a battalion chief. Just wondering!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

He is now an assistant chief, that is just 1 level below the top. I first knew him when he was a booter, that's how old I am.... I have seen blinding sand storms, but , like I said, it went from unlimited visibility to absolutely none in less than 30 seconds...I was down to about 40 or 50 when it went to zero. I slowed fast and downshifted to 4th, when the rear end of a semi appeared from the swirling dust. It was like I was watching a movie. I am soooo glad I finnaly got my brakes working right, because if this had happened 6 months ago, I would have plowed into the semi...Mark
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

here's how lucky I was...

Some picks...
Attached Thumbnails Unlucky and at the same time very lucky-rear-bumper-1.jpg   Unlucky and at the same time very lucky-rear-bumper-2.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator

more pics...the 1 ugly guy in the dust is me The white cab is the truck that I stopped behind...Mark
Attached Thumbnails Unlucky and at the same time very lucky-me.jpg   Unlucky and at the same time very lucky-front.jpg   Unlucky and at the same time very lucky-my-truck-behind.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider Yourself....

.....very, VERY lucky. You get to tell the story. Thank your lucky stars.
I remember that bad pile up in the 80's at Walnut Canyon east of Flag. 50-something vehicles and several dead. Similar scenario. Out of control 85000 pound semi's. Add ice and fog. Bad combo. After those deaths the "salt or no salt" debate ended in AZ.
Man, er, stuff happens fast, no?
Glad you're still with us. There's the best Christmas present you could ever ask for. Looks like, with a bit of work, your Dodge will be just fine. You got off EZ. H.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Glad you are okay. My prayers to those who lost their family.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW glad to hear your OK, and others that were involved. I will be driving down to Tucson tomorrow for Christmas, I'm hoping the weather will be in control.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

You and me both. I am going to Mexico come whatever . The forecast looks good, but they also said that yesterday's storm wasn't going to be much. See you on the road...Mark
Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're okay,

So the damage to the truck is just to the back? i'm confused.

I love your truck BTW
Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Glad you're okay,

So the damage to the truck is just to the back? i'm confused.

I love your truck BTW

Thanks, I never hit anything, everything else hit me. The other really lucky thing about that is that because I was not pushed into the first wreck, The wreck that I was in is a separate accident and I was the front vehicle...Mark
Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maybe368
You and me both. I am going to Mexico come whatever . The forecast looks good, but they also said that yesterday's storm wasn't going to be much. See you on the road...Mark
I have been watching the weather, looks to be ok, but then again it is Arizona. Mark have a safe trip, watch out for those people dove well over 80
Ben

Quick Reply: Unlucky and at the same time very lucky