1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Under $160 oil centrifuge.....DIY and save......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dguru
You would have had to drill and thread a fitting on the filter housing because an engine designer would never provide an access plug to the unfiltered side of the filter in order to insure that the average shade tree would not connect anything to the unfiltered side. I bet if you removed the filter housing you would see this. However this is all moot because again the deposits that the spinner filter gets would go through the main filter anyway. Also the spinner filter does not have much room for trash as it would reduce efficiency as it builds up. It also hard to clean and thats why most truck makers opt for a throw away spinner filter.

Again the point of a bypass filter is NOT to make the main filter last longer! The reason you use a bypass filter is to "finish" the oil. In other words clean it to a finer level so that these small deposits don't continue to circulate through your bearings. Thus reducing the need for frequent oil changes. It makes your oil last longer. It has nothing to do with the main filter service.

Now one might say well why don't they use a finer main filter. The answer the finer you filter the more you restrict the oil flow and the larger the filter you would need to compensate for that restriction at that flow rate. Thats why the bypass method is used. It filters a small amount of oil to the micron level on order to extend oil life.

There is one drawback to adding a bypass filter to an engine that was not designed for one. It takes some oil away from lubing the engine. Most engine designers install a higher output pump when the specs call for a bypass filter. Now that does not mean adding a bypass filter is going to create a problem but when you add twin turbos or anything else along with it you may or may not run into a problem. Just something to think about.
I could argue with you but I dont see the need. A little research goes a long way. If you haven't already, check out the links I posted above. They provide alot of information you may find enlightening. The cleanout process for the centrifuge couldnt be much easier and takes a whole 2 minutes from start to finnish. With just a papertowel I can clean mine out at a gas station while filling my tanks, and with the engine running.

Less down time and lower maintenance cost on a working rig can be a big difference in profit.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 PM

pwrtrip I am some what confused!! Doesn't the centrifuge need an electric motor to produce the swirl and thus create the centrifuge process. I do not see a motor or wiring on your unit. I read the story in Diesel Power Mag and their unit had an electric motor. Please shed some light.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 PM

oil pressure sprays through reaction jets and spins the bowl assembly. It won't allow any oil to go to the unit (and thus, the jets), until the oil pressure is high enough. Therefore, it will not, and can not "starve" the engine of oil, cause it only works when excess pressure is present.
Food for thought: on ships, we don't even HAVE oil filters. ONLY purifiers, unless it's an emergency generator in which case I've seen one (A Cummins C series as a matter of fact) that had both. Larger engines, we have electronically spooled ones, smaller ones have only pressure type like these. However... one 1000kW gen set I worked on used both (electric AND pressure).
Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks dzl damon I understand that. Now my other question for powrtrip is since you have had this on for four months have you had an oil sample analyzed. It would be interesting to see results from that. Now that I think about it you would need to do a before to get some sort of a base and then do a second sample after running the centrifuge for a while. If any one on here does this do a before oil sample and then an second sample. I would like to see results of that.Please post an update in the near future. Good write up pwrtripls1!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:41 AM

Nice job! Centrifuge does an excellent job. Takes bypass filtering to the next level.