1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Two easy windshield wiper questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Two easy windshield wiper questions

They quit working a couple of years ago and I my mechanic replaced the broken part - I think it was something plastic.
When I got it back, the driver's side wiper was lower than before, almost touching the windshield rubber when in park.
So there's a wide area that doesn't get swept. Didn't think much about it at the time because I really needed the truck.
Can't the arm be removed from the shaft so I can reposition it? I checked it out and didn't see a set screw or any obvious release lever.
It sure would be nice to have it back to normal so I can get mud, etc. out of my line of sight.

Second question is kind of odd. I use Rain-X, so I rarely have to use the wipers or change the blades.
All the books at the parts stores say they use 18" refills, but I have to cut off about 1/2" to get them to fit. 17" is too short.
Are these some kind of weird replacements, or are they original?
It's frustrating to buy the stainless steel refills only to have to go back and buy the plastic ones so I can cut them. It's happened several times.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM

you can pop off the assembly, there is a little tab that swings out, keep looking, its there right where the assembly attaches to the wiper linkage above the cowl.. spray some pb on it, don't force it, should pop out with a screw driver, then just position the wiper where you want it. as for the replacement, i have no idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM

in anwser to the first question, there should be a little tab on the top side and all you need to do is pry it away carefully from the wiper post. and it dosent take much effort at all, and then you should be able to reposition it. if you need further help i could take pics tom if you want...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
I love old threads:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&highlight=pry
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as 18" or 17" blades I've used both. The 17s seem to fit better and there is only 1/2" at either end of the wipe which don't find it a problem. Most of your view is in the center of the wnidsheild. I just do not pay much attention to the edges.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up It's all good...

Thanks to everyone about removing the wiper arm. Got it lined up the way it should be now.
That was a really minor problem, but annoying...
I did notice that you have to pull the arm away from the windshield before the lever will swing out. That's why I wasn't able to get it off before.
It's probably been 20 years or more since I've had to mess with one.