1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Twitchy cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Twitchy cruise control

We went to Amarillo this weekend and I couldn't use the cruise because it's so twitchy. It's my fault for tweaking the crap out of it to the point that my engine acts like a two year old filly first time in the starting gates. Should I go, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I.

Would taking all the play out of the cruise linkage do any good?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Can't hurt. I'd try a restriction in the vacuum line to the actuator.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you sure it is the mods? Other than transmissions and POD's we seem to have similar setups. Right now my cruise is very smooth and manegable. I just returned from a trip to Northern VA (365 mile round trip) and ran cruise as much as traffic would allow. No complaints.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM

The trans would make a difference. Even with a lockup converter the auto will smooth things out.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noisey TPS signal can cause same thing..see here http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...TPS_adjust.htm

Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM

Standard transmission, no TPS.... Thanks though!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Speed Control - Adaptive Strategy

Speed Control - Adaptive Strategy

NO: 08-16-95 Rev. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: Oct. 6, 1995
SUBJECT:
Speed Control
Overshoot/Undershoot
During Initial Set Speed Selection

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-16-95, DATED APR. 14, 1995, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. REVISIONS INCLUDE ADDITIONAL MODELS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IN THE DISCUSSION. ONLY THE REVISIONS IN THE DISCUSSION ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

MODELS:
1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Pickup/Ramcharger
1994 - 1996 (BR) Ram Pickup

DISCUSSION:

If the vehicle operator **repeatedly** presses and releases the SET button with their foot off of the accelerator (a "lift foot set" to begin speed control operation), the vehicle may accelerate and exceed the desired set speed by up to 5 MPH (8 km/h) and then decelerate to less than the desired set speed before finally achieving the desired set speed.

The speed control has an adaptive strategy (ability to learn) that compensates for vehicle-to-vehicle variations in speed control cable lengths. When the speed control is set with the vehicle operators foot off of the accelerator pedal, the speed control "thinks" there is excessive speed control cable slack and adapts (learns). If "lift foot sets" are continually used, the speed control overshoot/undershoot condition will develop.

To "unlearn" the overshoot/undershoot condition, the vehicle operator has to press and release the SET button while maintaining the desired set speed with the accelerator pedal (not decelerating or accelerating), and then turn the speed control switch to the OFF position **(or press the CANCEL button, if equipped) after the speed control has been engaged for 10 seconds or longer.** This procedure must be performed approximately 10-15 times to completely unlearn the overshoot/undershoot condition.

If the speed control operation procedure outlined in the Owners Manual is followed, the overshoot/undershoot condition will not occur. Please review the proper set procedure with the vehicle operator.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM

It feels like someone is driving that had no conscept of modulation (sorry mom!), like there arn't any shades of grey. Going up hill it's fine, but on level ground or down hill it's really bad!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
It feels like someone is driving that had no conscept of modulation (sorry mom!), like there arn't any shades of grey. Going up hill it's fine, but on level ground or down hill it's really bad!
Mine is doing the same thing. I have tried everything I can to check/adjust and its still doing it. Uphill its fine, but flat or downhill and it speed up then down, speed up, then down....etc.....

Let me know if you figure this out if you don't mind incase I lose track of this thread.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Mine is doing the same thing. I have tried everything I can to check/adjust and its still doing it. Uphill its fine, but flat or downhill and it speed up then down, speed up, then down....etc.....
Let me know if you figure this out if you don't mind incase I lose track of this thread.
I'm going to restrict the vacuum line to the module (suggested by Wanna) and see if that buys me anything. It's so bad that I can stand to drive with it on. With a stick and mods it's painfull!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM

I'm also going to try a small vacuum can (in line) to modulate the pulse.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I'm going to restrict the vacuum line to the module (suggested by Wanna) and see if that buys me anything. It's so bad that I can stand to drive with it on. With a stick and mods it's painfull!

Really REALLY dumb question, but how do you restrict it? Are we talking about completely blocking it off?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM

My dad's 93 started doing this. It was really rough and jerky. About 3 days later it wouldnt hold 65mph with it held to the floor. Changed the fuel filter and it smoothed everything out. Just a cheap easy thought if its been awhile since youve changed it.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Really REALLY dumb question, but how do you restrict it? Are we talking about completely blocking it off?
I would suggest putting a needle valve inline so you can play with the flow rate. If you block it completely it won't work. What I'm trying to accomplish is slowing the reaction of the servo so it doesn't feed so much fuel so quickly.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I would suggest putting a needle valve inline so you can play with the flow rate. If you block it completely it won't work. What I'm trying to accomplish is slowing the reaction of the servo so it doesn't feed so much fuel so quickly.
Thats what direction I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. I knew if I blocked it off completely I would have no cruise. Thanks for answering a dumb question from aparently a pretty dumb feller...

Quick Reply: Twitchy cruise control