1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

turning radius ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turning radius ?

When I turn left it takes a country mile to turn around. When I trun right it turns on a dime. The drag link is non adjustable. Any ideas
Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming your talking about your first gen truck, crawl under the front and looking at the spindle end of the front axle you will probably find a bolt that is broken off, or missing on the left side, but one sticking out about an inch and a half on the right side (steering stops). Hope thats your problem.

Rick
Old 01-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Sorry, Yes this is on my '93. I will go look for missing bolts. Thanks Junk Yard Dog
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 PM

Your sig. says you have a 2" lift. Your drag link is probably on a steeper angle causing your pitman arm to move the steering arm more when you turn right than when you turn left. Try getting an aftermarket adj. drag link. These may also work as an alternative to the drag link (less expensive), a steering arm spacer block, or a dropped pitman arm.

Better yet, junk the stock setup and do cross over steering . Much improved steering feel (no more slop) and ALOT tighter turning radius. Plus you can center your steering wheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:03 AM

Desert Rat
Where do I look for crossover steering components
Old 01-28-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ramcummins
Desert Rat
Where do I look for crossover steering components
This guy makes great stuff and the price is usually a little better than most. http://rockstomper.com/catalog/steering/highsteer.htm
Old 01-28-2004, 09:12 PM

ramcummins

I don't know of any complete kit to do crossover steering on a Dodge. You'll have to get parts from here and there, and fab some. This is how I did mine.

I got my highsteer arm from here. http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.html
There are others but they seem to cost more. This one works for me.

You need to move your steering box to the factory 2wd location. Just unbolt the box from the adapter plate and trash it. Move the box back 3 1/2" and bolt it back on, the holes are already there. You will need a 2wd steering shaft, or have yours shortened. I got rid of the stock steering shaft to box joint while I was at it and converted to a u-joint style (no more rebuilds).
Reclock your pitman arm 90deg. For the drag link I used a strait axle Chevy tie rod shortened 15" on the adj. sleeve. The taper for the Chevy tie rod end is the same as the Dodge, so it will bolt to your pitman arm.

Some things to consider. To me it looks like this would only work if you had a lift. The factory sway bar has to be removed, may not be much of problem because of stiffer lift springs. You can maybe get a sway bar from something else to work if it leans to much for your comfort. I left mine off. A track bar would be nice too, but not necessary, as the axle shifts slightly from side to side when turning. I'm working on building one for me because I'm picky. But even without one it's fine, and still WAY better than stock.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the info on crossover steering, looks good. But I cant afford it right now, maybe later. Until then, can I change the position of the pitman arm or is it like the 2nd gens and can only go on one way . Any info in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:37 PM

ramcummins

Get an adj. Drag Link, this will in effect change the position of the pitman so your truck will turn equally left and right. Kind of a bandaid fix, but it will work better than what you have now. Skyjacker has them and I'm sure you can get them other places as well as well.
If your on a budget, get the steering arm from a D60 Chevy with the Chevy drag link. Chevy made their drag links adj. from the factory. The Chevy steering arm has the drag link mount from the top, unlike Dodge from the bottom. This should help with bumpsteer as the Chevy stuff would be pretty much level with your 2" lift. I am not positive if this works as I have never tried it. But I think is worth a shot for cheap common Chevy parts.