1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

turbo blanket? whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo blanket? whats the deal?

Does anybody have experience with these? I searched the threads but didnt see any info on them?

Heres the Ebay link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S300-...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you want to get rid of heat which is why you don't wrap the dp, and turbo?? I think you'd be looking for trouble on a diesel but thats just me.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Heat is good on the exhaust side; heat is energy, and it takes energy to spool the turbo. A turbo wrap keeps the heat in the exhaust gasses where it'll keep workin' pushing the wheel instead of allowing the heat to radiate out. It also helps keep underhood temps a little lower. I've got one on my truck (not one of theirs, a different company) and I love it. Even with my pump tweaked to 1/2 turn from runaway and seriously machined fuel pin, I still don't ever see over 1200*, and my pyro is pre-turbo.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:59 PM

I had a turbo wrap but took it off. EGT's took way longer to cool down and the pyro climbed faster. A friend of mine works at the shipyard and does insulation. He made the wrap for me because I saw it in Summit's catalog and thought I needed one. I don't know if it made a difference or not because I took it off after one day of driving due to the increase temperature on the pyro. I'm just sharing my experience.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
my pyro is pre-turbo.
not to get off subject but whats the deal with that? should it be before or after?
I was told it was dangerous because if anything was to come lose it would go thru the turbo......where is the best reading taken from?
Mine was installed prior to me getting the truck pre-turbo.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM

its gives a more accurate egt reading as you lose about 300 degrees after the turbo. So you would always have to add to what your temp really is.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by joker834
not to get off subject but whats the deal with that? should it be before or after?
I was told it was dangerous because if anything was to come lose it would go thru the turbo......where is the best reading taken from?
Mine was installed prior to me getting the truck pre-turbo.
The reading is definitely more accurate before the turbo. Theoretically, if anything came loose, or broke off of the probe it would indeed go through the turbo, but I have never found anyone who has actually had a probe cause this. I don't think it's any more likely than having a piece of piston or valve break off and destroy the turbo. It would just be a real freak accident that you could brag about to your grandkids while proudly showing off the destroyed parts.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had my turbo wrapped up on a boat I used to have. It was wrapped so it would not catch the boat on fire. The entire exhaust system was wrapped up. I never had a pryo but with a boat you are on the power all the time. Worked good with no issues.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
It would just be a real freak accident that you could brag about to your grandkids while proudly showing off the destroyed parts.
LOL...... Those grandkids are going to have hours of stories to listen to! All starting with "I had this freak accident once........."
Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Ive seen alot of discussion on this on the 2.2 mopar turbo forums I visit, and most guys say unless its not a drag car, dont do it because it can cause the manifold/turbo to crack due to the higher heat.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM

makes sense
Old 01-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I would be hesitant to wrap the turbo, as it gets plenty hot enough as it is and could very well cook the oil if it was any hotter.

Not to argue, but the heat has nothing to do with spinning the wheel; that is done by the pistons forcing the exhaust out of the cylinders.

The turbo would spin just the same if the exhaust were ice-cold.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Not to argue, but the heat has nothing to do with spinning the wheel; that is done by the pistons forcing the exhaust out of the cylinders.

The turbo would spin just the same if the exhaust were ice-cold.
Heat and pressure are tied together. You lose heat, you lose pressure. You lose pressure, you lose heat. That's why post turbo EGT is lower than pre-turbo. It's the gas law in operation.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM

so wannadiesel would you wrap it or not for everyday driving?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think one of those boots has enough effect to be noticeable on a street turbo.

Quick Reply: turbo blanket? whats the deal?