1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

which turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which turbo

so what turbo would all of us suggest is the best to run. easiest to adapt, best performance, and so on. i am ready to start looking and buying a turbo for mine. i do not tow very often, and not huge amounts of weight when i do (under 10k). i just want to be burning all of that excess fuel that these trucks seem to throw out ( i've got the non-intercooled, so 9mm inj.). and i of course want to have a fast, more fun truck. i am going to intercool it when i can find an intercooler. advance my timing a bit. and i might run a diff injector but do not know what one to go with. someone should just tell me what to buy. there are so many choices. i want a fast truck but do not want to go too ridiculous and start tearing everything up, like the pump or even the motor. i do have 215k miles. but the getrag and 205 are rebuilt. and drivelines are new cuz of my lift. so not too worried about drivetrain issues. i am thinking 300rwhp or so. what do i have to do to get that. and will i have to tweak the pump to get that. cuz i would like to get the most hp first before i start using more fuel to get the power. know what i mean?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
You need to fill out your sig so we know what you got.

I'm looking to get an WH1C which is an H1C with a 12 cm2 turbine housing and a wastegate. The smaller housing (mine is a stock 18 cm2) allows the turbo to spool up quicker which gives better performance out of the hole. The wastegate limits maximum boost by bleeding off some exhause gases past the turbine. It's operated by a diaphram which is actuated by boost pressure. The max boost is adjustable with the linkage of the diaphram to the WG valve.

My stock turbo is sized to limit the maximum boost without the wastegate but the drawback is slower spool up. Later years had an even slower turbo with a 21 cm2 turbo housing which made them quite doggy I understand. But I've only driven my own so I don't have any experience.

I'm looking on eBay for a WH1C which is equivalent to an HX35W. They seem to go for around $200 used.

A good discussion about turbos on these trucks can be found here:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

Edwin
Old 02-14-2005, 09:49 AM

where in idaho are you? altitude will play a role in what you want to pick.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:58 AM

around coeur d'alene i am at an altitude of around 2100 or so with commonly going up around 5500 or so to go hunting. i notice when i go up in the mountains with it i get alot more putting around blue smokeand if i start getting on it it clears up when the temp starts to rise a tad. which reminds me of a question i was going to ask. i seem to smoke allot more than most 1st gens i see running around. my motor is 100percent stock right now. with 215kmiles. but runs like an absolute champion fires up within 3-4 cranks even if it is 10 below and not been ran in a few days. not plugged in. so i don't think my compression is low do u think my injectors need rebuilt. i was going to yank them out and get them checked out, just doing other things right now. i get blue smoke for probably the first 20 min. of drive after the 10 min or so warm up depending on temp. outside. and at smoke that is not real dark in color whenever i take off darker of course the more i get on it. at night it is really obvious with headlights behind me. i then realize it smokes all the time. i get about 23-25mpg on highway (50-55 mph) and probably 17-18 in town. mild stop and go to 45mph. which i thought was a little low.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM

oh yeah, i do not go through a drop of oil, so i do not think i am getting oil past my turbo. i think it is just half-burnt fuel. but my exhaust has a very raw smell, it will burn your eyes being around it and it makes it hard to breathe if u don't have exceptional wind blowing it away. when driving behind me it just smells like i have one of those beefed up 3rd gen. motors with the setting on like 5. i have very decent power and i don't think my pump has been tweeked cuz it still governs at 2500. (isn't that just lack of fuel.) when i mean decent power it will keep up with the 24v ho. until high rpm and it tows just as much, i could easily keep up with one when at work.(i work at a marina) towing 12k#
Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 AM

sounds like you should definitely get the injectors checked. i've read that they are usually good for about 100k, and then start to get screwy. getting them checked/adjusted would be the first step to get rid of the blue smoke i would think. you should sign up on the nwbombers.com website as well. there are a bunch of guys in your area that are lots of help. as far as turbos, it's basically a matter of how much $$ you have. if you're on a budget, check out HTT's stage III kit. cheap and very effective.

dave
Old 02-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A turbo off a 2nd gen would be a good start. WH1C or HX-35, doesn't really matter. With your altitude, the stock 12 cm housing that comes on those turbos is a good choice.

Fresh injectors will help with the smoke.

The 2500 rpm defueling is normal. You can install a 3200 RPM spring which will help you keep up. The instructions are in the "tech facts" section of the site aolong with a lot of other useful info.