1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tuning the new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep thats exactly what i used for my wastegate, was a J-hook off my old hy35 turbo, made a L-shaped bracket and then i could tighten the spring to get it top open later, it works great, or i put a turnbuckle on it and close it completely when i want the wastegate shut.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah it seems to be doing its job well... just would like to hit maybe 30psi and have it not open as quick, i have 2 stronger springs i'm waiting to stick in there. This seems to be the best spring for the street. Although with the waste gate opening under such low pressure (low speed acceleration) it makes the cab noise EXTREAMLY LOUD and i feel as if its wasted energy. I'll have to get a video on the way to my aunts house today and stick it in here, so you know what i mean.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 AM

yeah it does get pretty loud when the wastegate opens. what did you do with your exhaust? did you do 4" out the back? Yeah I'd put the tighter spring in or get a small turnbuckle and a small tight spring and hook them together so you can tighten or loosen the spring tightness just like a J-hook. It took me a while to get mine setup right when i first put mine on. I had a spring on it the first time i started it and it felt tight, but it must not of been tight enough because it was openin the whole time givin me 0 boost. I then made my bracket and put the J-hook in there and tightened it down and it solved the problem. I can get a picture of the bracket I made and how i hooked it all up if you want?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah that would be appreciated. I just got back from my road trip, i have a short video im trying to put up here. I also noticed that i'm leaking oil at a surprising rate!!! Its all over the outside of the exhaust, so i hope its just through the drain gasket i haven't found yet. I've swiped the exhaust pipe a few times out of fear of a blown turbo seal, but i just yield black soot.

I will say it definitely feels like a HUGE gain in power. I don't even notice getting up to 60 on back roads, and on the highway my 60-100 time dramatically dropped. So i hope that my track time will also. It would be nice to strap her down one day.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM

here is a pic when i first put the turbo & hood stack on with the hood off

Its just a piece of metal bent into an L-shape with a hole in the top part and a hole on the bottom part. I just bolted it where the actuator used to be. I then got my J-hook (or turnbuckle if i want it to stay shut) and hooked it to the wastegate, then then hooked the other side into the other hole in the bracket in the bottom and tightened it down. It was an ugly rusty piece, but it works good, I have since painted it to match my turbo.
Name:  engine008.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  143.9 KB
I know these aren't the best pictures, but i wont be home til tomorrow. Hopefully this gives you an idea on how i did it, but if you need more pictures and how it looks underneath, i'll try and get some tomorrow.

And when i installed my hy35 before this turbo, it was leakin oil out of the oil drain fitting too, so i doubled up the gasket cuz it was barely reaching and put some gasket sealer on it and it sealed right up so you may wanna try that and see if it helps.

Yeah i was surprised how much this turbo woke my truck up, night and day difference, I'm pretty set on it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the pictures, i have the first video i took today up on u-tube, i took another but left it in the truck. I'll get another of the engine bay and turbo set-up and leaking spots and everything else i've been promising pictures of(can't find camera).

Without further ado
My Easter Video
Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Ok so i got a better handle on this turbo
I swapped in a 60# spring to control the waste gate by drive pressure.
Lets just say that fixed ALL the problems i was having with the truck.

Today i re-installed the silencer ring, hooked up the new BHAF after its been sitting on my shelf for months... then i upgraded the weak spring to a nice heavy duty spring.

Results: RAPID boost, until about 35psi then waste gate opens. Quieter cabin noise (waste gate stays shut) and a drop in egts!! mainly because the waste gate is working right now.

I have a video but need to upload it
Old 05-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah these turbos seem to cool very well at 30 to 40 lbs of boost. It surprised me.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
So what are you guys doing about that solenoid on the front of the compressor housing. I picked up one of these turbos and I'm trying to run it now, without much sucess. I've read you just wire power to it, but in some pictures I see that it's gone. Have you just removed it and installed a plug or something?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM

i'm ashamed to say this... its just hanging there, not attached to the wastegate... and yes you just hook up power to the solenoid and it should regulate you at 35# and i think its 25# when solenoid is off.
There is also a block off kit on e-bay and i think there is one that lets you adapt it to a NPT thread for the hose.

I'm going to shorten the spring by another 1/2" and hopefully that will keep the gate shut until about 20# then it should overpower and limit me to 40# all together.

I also regret to say that i forgot my video camera, however i'd like to admit how impressed i am with the performance to this turbo, now that i have it working better. It lights 2x as fast as before and i notice more acceleration and less smoke. I need to get my pyro 100% again... sometimes it works other times it doesnt... been driving me nuts.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok thank you sir. I'll get some power hooked up to that very soon. I will assume you have a relay being switched from the FSS? Well at least I think that's how I'll run mine, unless you have a simpler setup, but that was my quick idea.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
ATS has a plug for it but then you have to tap the housing and put in an ajustable boost elbow to utilize the wastegate.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Mine is utilizing a spring, because of how i have the housing clocked i cannot use the wastegate, its on too much of an angle. So i reverted to using a spring for now... How ever you get power to it, it should work. Just make sure you stick a fuse in there, don't want anything to happen.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

My plug isn't plugged into anything, its just hangin there. And I put a bolt in the boost tube that went to the actuator and clamped it tight so its plugged.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Just got home from the track... i did a little better. Got it down to a 14.5 with wheel spin :-/ all in all im happy with the results of the new turbo :-D

Quick Reply: Tuning the new turbo