1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tuner distortion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Tuner distortion

When I bought my 92 it had the din and a half stock radio in it. It sounded like crap, so i replaced it with a new cd player..

When I did the install, I purchased a schoche (sp?) plug and play connector, and soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections to make sure all was tight.

The radio / cd player still doesn't sound that great. The speakers have a distinct scratchiness / distortion to them, and it's similar, but not nearly as bad as the OEM radio was.

I've tried playing around with all of the settings in the tuner, but it still sounds junky, especially when you add more base or midrange. All functions as it should.... Center / balance, and other settings all work as they should, so I guess I followed the wiring instructions correctly.

The sounds don't change much from playing the radio / vs a CD, so my assumption that the OEM radio wasn't picking up stations correctly was wrong.

Speakers? or am I missing something else ?
Before I go and buy new speakers.... as this is

Thanks

T.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still has stock speakers in it?

They are junk from the day they're new.

Get some pioneer 6x9's from Best buy or somewhere, put them in the doors and buy some pioneer 4x10's off ebay for the rear. Stores usually don't have 4x10 speakers in stock...

You can even make the new speakers work with the old water shields inside the doors, just get some long 8/32 or 10/32 bolts and put them through the speaker, through the plastic water shield, and then through the 4 holes in the door and put 4 nuts on the door panel side, then i usually cut the studs short that are sticking out...... depending if you get 1 way or 3 way you may have to cut a square out of the center of the "honey comb" thats on the plastic water shield. this will be so the tweeter of the speaker won't be jammed up against the water protector

All 6x9 speakers use the same pattern so all 4 hole will line up and stuff.

It'll all be more clear when you get the door panel off.

and trust me it will sound crystal clear and bump when you get it all together...so glad dodge put 6x9's in these doors! they work great
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are nice http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...od=KAPPA692.9I

4x10 Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some 6x9's

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...eaker_Size|6X9

and

here are very few 4x10's

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...aker_Size|4X10
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Still has stock speakers in it?

They are junk from the day they're new.

It'll all be more clear when you get the door panel off.

and trust me it will sound crystal clear and bump when you get it all together...so glad dodge put 6x9's in these doors! they work great
Thanks Brandon !

Looking forwards to clearer sound. and not all that growly scratchy stuff !@
Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM

What's the difference between 2 way, 3 way, 5 way ????

I know what a "3 way" is, but not when it comes to speakers

Clarification of the differences and benefits would be great !

BTW,

I have a Sony Tuner :
  • AM/FM radio, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3/WMA/AAC receiver with integrated HD Radio receiver
  • 52 Watts x 4 peak power with 2V front/rear/subwoofer preamp outputs

52w x 4, so when you look @ speakers, and they say 80W nominal, does that mean they aren't to be used ??? or cant be ??

T.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
T, are you sure that you have the speakers hooked up in phase? I did that once and I went through everything before a friend said that they sounded out of phase and they sure enough were......Mark
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
What's the difference between 2 way, 3 way, 5 way ????

I know what a "3 way" is, but not when it comes to speakers

Clarification of the differences and benefits would be great !

BTW,

I have a Sony Tuner :
  • AM/FM radio, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3/WMA/AAC receiver with integrated HD Radio receiver
  • 52 Watts x 4 peak power with 2V front/rear/subwoofer preamp outputs
52w x 4, so when you look @ speakers, and they say 80W nominal, does that mean they aren't to be used ??? or cant be ??

T.
speaker differences:

http://thespeakerguys.blogspot.com/2...and-3-way.html

52wx4 means 52w per channel (4 channels), so it can power 4 speakers at 52w each.

The speakers can handle 80w (most likely peak wattage which is a crock of crap, go by RMS wattage if it is given as its the actual continous power they can handle).

This site has more than you truly want to know about car audio, just pick the heading on the right side:

http://www.bcae1.com/
Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Infinity speakers are very overpriced for what they are. I have had the best luck with the Upscale pioneers from Best buy. And then you don't have to wait on them to be shipped.

For best sound in the big cab you're gonna want the 3 way, It has 2 small tweeters in the center of the speaker to pick up the "High notes" like Eddie/Led Zeppelin
Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
"Ya get more miles from a cheap pair of speakers" as the song goes.
I put some cheapo Jensen's in mine and couldn't be happier. Considering the engine and road noise, what would be the point. As long as it doesn't distort badly at high volumes trying to drown out the noise, call it good.
Now if by some miracle yours is quite inside, go for it.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Thanks Guys, for all of the info here.

I'm going to order myself a new set of speakers, fronts and rears.

I figure I'd go with the 3 way for the front and 2 way for the rears, so that I could determine any real differences between the two.

From what I've read so far, a hugh difference is how the system is set up whether or not the number of "ways" makes any difference.... as well as your own ability to decipher those differences.

Since I have partial hearing loss and tinnitus (not terrible in either respect) from all the decades of "unprotected carpentry tool sex" I think I'll do just fine.

I'll check the phasing of the speakers before install, just to make sure they boom out vs boom in

Great bunk of info here guys, as usual.... Thanks again !

T.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

the #1 word when it come to quality speakers is sensitivity.

the higher your sensitivity the less you have to work your in dash deck or amp.

The less you have to push your deck the better your sound is.

And by the way the Infinity kappa have about the highest db (sensitivity) for a reasonable price.

cheap speakers sound cheap.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bobva

And by the way the Infinity kappa have about the highest db (sensitivity) for a reasonable price.

Second on sensitivity being *VERY* important. Haven't messed with car audio much since getting into tube amp building for the home system. The home system runs horns top to bottom with sensitivity ~106dB/1W-1m. I'd be happy with low 90's for the car...
cheers,
Douglas
Old 01-12-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva

Sensitivity comes with a price. That price is resonance, or ringing depending on the mount. There are expensive sensitive speakers that fix it with fancy engineering. Bose wave comes to mind. They sound real nice.

There are speakers that gang up a bunch of high travel small speakers in a highly dampened box. They require much power to get loud. (Past era Bose bandstand speakers) They sound real nice.

All that, except that they need to be loud, doesn't matter in a past era diesel truck. I'd put in any cheap 2 way or 3 way speakers that don't buckle or rattle at your required volume. Pioneer come to mind.

Put the high tech speakers in your home theater .
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
I will disagree with the "cheap speakers" sounding "cheap" stereotype. There are some very good "cheap" speakers out there and there are some very bad "expensive" ones as well. That's why I have always "test driven" any speaker before purchase. I have a couple of songs that I use for that purpose. If the details aren't there, I don't buy them. If I have to jack around with the equalizer much off flat, I don't buy they. I'm an audiophile with 45 years experience.

Quick Reply: Tuner distortion