1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tube beside the oil pan is spitting oil on the ground

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tube beside the oil pan is spitting oil on the ground

I'm not exactly sure what its purpose is but the hose beside the oil pan (steering shaft side) seems to put a 4-5" diameter oil stain on my driveway after the truck has been shut off for a while. What could be causing this? I noticed lately that my oil pressure has gone up a bit and that my oil is a little low, but still within the safe margin. Its only started to do this within the last week or two and it has been getting colder, not that really has anything to do with this (at least I don't think so)

Any ideas?

NoSparkplugs
Old 10-22-2005, 11:19 PM

That is the crank case vent or blowby tube if it is the one that hangs down.

Check to see if you can feel any air movement comming out the tube when the engine is running. If so could be bad news.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:28 PM

If it's the blowby tube(should be) it os probably bad news. It could be something simple I suppose. Let it get warmed up and get under the truck and see what's coming out. It should put out some smoke and possibly oil if there's a major problem. If not, there could be a seal or something that is bad. Someone else will probably have some more info.
Sam
Old 10-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of any positive reasons that the vent tube would lay down a 4 to 5" stain overnight. A couple of drips off it is normal, and it's not unusual to see smoke out of in especially if you've been working the truck hard.

Smell the oil on the dipstick. If it smells like fuel, change the lift pump (and the oil) and see if the problem goes away.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 AM

I think I may have exaggerated the size of the stain (maybe 3" in diameter) but it stills scares me. Wannadiesel, I'm going to check that today.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM

pipe

first things first fill out your signature on your truck and how mani miles and check if you see if oil dipstick has a hard time staying in its place and is there oil coming out of dipstick because what your telling us is a sign of compression in the oil pan if its real bad oil will come out of dip stick and dipstick could even go out looks like bad news buddy let truck warm up give it a good run and go under there tell us what happens smoke and bad smell is normal but a 3 inc spot in driveway is not what do you do with that truck ex work pull hard etc
Old 10-24-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DODGE 92
first things first fill out your signature on your truck and how mani miles and check if you see if oil dipstick has a hard time staying in its place and is there oil coming out of dipstick because what your telling us is a sign of compression in the oil pan if its real bad oil will come out of dip stick and dipstick could even go out looks like bad news buddy let truck warm up give it a good run and go under there tell us what happens smoke and bad smell is normal but a 3 inc spot in driveway is not what do you do with that truck ex work pull hard etc
90% my truck is empty, the most I've hauled is a 400lb snowmobile. It has 310,000kms on her. I noticed today that the spot was a lot smaller . I added some oil, due to it being a little low. Also I checked the tube there is a bit of air flowing through it when the truck is running (really weak, I can barely feel it). I also noticed that I need a new oil pan gasket since I have oil weeping all around the oil pan/engine block mating surface.