1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

The truth about changing your down pipe from stock to 4"

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
Not only the pressure difference but the temperature difference as it is the hot gasses not pressure that is really driving the turbine.
True.

The science of it all it is that all mediums as such have a pressure/temperature map. Ex ~ contain any gas in a sealed vessel. Add heat to it (energy), and you'll see the pressure go up. Remove heat from it, and the pressure goes down.
When we look at EGTs from the standpoint of where the probe is located (pre-turbo versus post-turbo), we typically see an approx 300*F temperature difference. The 300*F represents the energy being converted from heat to actual mechanical work.
You'll also note the shape of the exhaust housing. If we were to unroll the housing so to speak. It'd be in the shape of a trumpet . . . .sorta. Small at the inlet, increasing in size till the outlet. It's there that the exhaust gasses expand. There's a bunch of Chinese math going on, but it's there that the energy transition takes place as far as converting the heat to work.
In that shade of light, it is the pressure that drives the turbine. Said pressure is a result of the heat.

Tuckerdee, as the exhaust gasses emerge from the turbine, they are moving pretty-much like the turbine. In a spiral motion. Centrifical force compels the gasses to emerge in the fashion you describe.
Certainly, leaving the exhaust housing open to the atmosphere would offer the best flow, barring that, we're stuck with the TOP. I suppose adding something like the TAG (turbine air guide) to the outlet would clean up the motion of the flow, but it would be at the expense of increased back pressure. Perhaps there would be subtle benefit in increasing the pipe size gradually as suggested above, but it'd be pricey for the results IMO.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BC847

With a specific sized primary exhaust pipe (ID and length) combined with the timing presented at a given engine RPM, said pulse-wave . . . . or more specifically the low pressure area immediately behind the pulse, can be presented to the other primary pipes at the collector. Said low pressure area drops the pressure (pulls) on the exhaust side of the engine.
This increase in flow can be tuned to a specific RPM as needed.
Such is the difference between true extractor type equal-length headers versus the cosmetic headers
You bring up a great point about the tuned length exhaust. You're totally right. I simply didn't touch on that because to my knowledge nobody makes a tuned length header for the cummins. I've thought about if there'd be any benefit to a header, not for scavenging (because that also requires a tuned length collector to be really effective) but for reduction in backpressure. If you wrapped it, it would probably transmit heat energy to the turbine very well. But maybe heat would crack it, and it wouldn't be any better than ATS.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Well I went to my local autozone and they have 3'' pipe but the biggest flex pipe they have is 2 1/2''. Any suggestions on where to get 3'' flex pipe?

Thanks Ben
Three inch galvanized ~ http://store.airflo.com/galv3.html

Three inch stainless ~ http://store.airflo.com/ss3.html

Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by johnny5.9
You bring up a great point about the tuned length exhaust. You're totally right. I simply didn't touch on that because to my knowledge nobody makes a tuned length header for the cummins. I've thought about if there'd be any benefit to a header, not for scavenging (because that also requires a tuned length collector to be really effective) but for reduction in backpressure. If you wrapped it, it would probably transmit heat energy to the turbine very well. But maybe heat would crack it, and it wouldn't be any better than ATS.
I can't find it now but at least one individual has custom fabricated a stainless, equal length header for his twin set-up. It looked extreamly sweet. Still looking . . . . . .
Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM

I can only imagine how edit that would look when you open the hood. You'd have to lay a towel down to catch the drool from your jealous buddies. LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Well I went to my local autozone and they have 3'' pipe but the biggest flex pipe they have is 2 1/2''. Any suggestions on where to get 3'' flex pipe?

Thanks Ben
If you don't get it from airflo.com then go to a semi truck parts store or salvage yard. They'll have it there or at least be able to order it in.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey thanks BC847 and 90firstgen you guys are awsome

Ben
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The turbo is THE main restriction in the exhaust. A header would be a waste of effort. You want those hot exhaust gases getting to the turbine as rapidly (and as warm) as possible. The ATS and HTT manifolds accomplish that very well, and the stocker doesn't do half bad either.

You do want to do everything possible to free up flow after the turbo.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Wow, guess I'm in a club of my own!

I posted about this shortly after installing my full 4" kit from Stans. I noticed absolutely no change in EGT's. It sounded a little better and might have added a few HP, but not the EGT reduction others claim or I had hoped to see. Prior to the Stans kit I had a 3" Magna-Flow muffler on the stock system with it cut off just behind the muffler.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 PM

I didn't see much of a drop at all, either...

from stock DP to Stan's 4" DP...no exhaust past the DP either way...

Greg
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 PM

I did a bunch of other mods while installing my exaust so I can not say how much it helped but I have done quite a few down pipe/exaust swaps at the shop and always notice quicker spooling turbos and lower egts.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The turbo is THE main restriction in the exhaust. A header would be a waste of effort. You want those hot exhaust gases getting to the turbine as rapidly (and as warm) as possible. The ATS and HTT manifolds accomplish that very well, and the stocker doesn't do half bad either.

You do want to do everything possible to free up flow after the turbo.

Hmmm..... so if you rapped the ex manifold with some thing like, header tape(High temp ) would it makes the turbo more efficient(gain more power) or would it just make it spool faster!

If you weren't turning enough boost to require a waste gate.....would it increase you boost?

if you had a waste gated turbo, would it just come up to boost faster or would there be a HP advantage to it?

What about some sort of heat sink after the down pipe, or on the down pipe? the faster the ex.cool the less restriction there is in the pipe......Right?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 AM

I've always heard that the hotter the exhaust is the faster it exits the system. Remember, the hotter the air the less dense it is so therefore is easier to move. As was mentioned earlier, the temperature difference between turbine in and out is a good indication of what the turbo is doing, however, artificially reducing the outlet temperature is going to do nothing for the turbo's effieciency.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM

I've always heard that the hotter the exhaust is the faster it exits the system. Remember, the hotter the air the less dense it is so therefore is easier to move. As was mentioned earlier, the temperature difference between turbine in and out is a good indication of what the turbo is doing, however, artificially reducing the outlet temperature is going to do nothing for the turbo's effieciency.
if hot air is easer to move then would it make sense to rap the ex from the turbo alls?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
The best thing would be to coat the exhaust turbine housing and the down pipe with ceramic (like JetHot). The second best thing would be to wrap the housing and downpipe with thermal wrap, but the wrap can cause premature erosion of an uncoated downpipe.

Quick Reply: The truth about changing your down pipe from stock to 4"