1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck won't go fast, over 43 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet thx
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM

So AAmco said its not the trans for many reasons, I am stumped
Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do they think it is ? if it's loosing fluid it has to be Trans ?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Gas truck eh, clogged catalytic converter perhaps? If you can, try uncorking the exhaust and see if it improves.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What else could it be? He hears it rev up, but it's not moving. If it was the cat he would have no power whatever gear he was in.
It's an 85, cat converter is probably long since gone.

Have tools with you? Drop the pan and adjust the bands and change the fluid/filter, see what happens.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM

At this point, I am not with the truck. The mechanic at AAmco suggested it being a carb or cat converter problem. He said he had it up to 75 on the freeway (no trailer) and it feels like something is pulling it back,Ike a loss of power. Sounds like it felt to me at times too.

As for loosing fluid, I had another trans shop ready my vehicle for the trip, I never double checked the fluid so it loosing fluid is kind of an assumption, I guess it could have been two qts low since day one of the trip.

He is checking cat tomorrow and letting me know. I will suggest the bands and such but he is pretty sure it's not the trans due to many signs my truck doesnt have
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 AM

Change the fuel filter and check the air filter. Fuel filter could be clogged or faulty.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Change the fuel filter and check the air filter. Fuel filter could be clogged or faulty.
Both were changed before I left. I did some service work to help avoid any issues and those items were included. I hope it is still that easy!!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jsadamson1

As for loosing fluid, I had another trans shop ready my vehicle for the trip, I never double checked the fluid so it loosing fluid is kind of an assumption, I guess it could have been two qts low since day one of the trip.
Not certain on the 727 but if they checked the fluid in park rather than neutral then wouldn't it be about two quarts low? Maybe thats where it went?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what I thought about fluid level, it was checked in park.

I guess he could be hearing the engine trying to work, but not being able to.

Is it revving free, or sound like it would normally, just not gaining anything?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Would there be any benefit in pulling the tv cable tighter to raise the trans pressure? Also how about a bottle or two of Lucas slip stop to help make it home?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
That's what I thought about fluid level, it was checked in park.

I guess he could be hearing the engine trying to work, but not being able to.

Is it revving free, or sound like it would normally, just not gaining anything?
It's hard to say about the engine, it's so quiet! I also have no rpm gauge so I have to try and hear it.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jsadamson1
I also have no rpm gauge so I have to try and hear it.
go buy a cheap sunpro tack for $30 at about any autoparts store, best $30 I have spent and its been in 4 vehicles over the past 10 years.

Whats the symptoms of the truck now? whats the fluid smell like and how does it shift?

keep posting whats going on with details and someone here is bound to know what is wrong and help you on your way.

My brother nursed his chevy trans for a few extra months with filter changes every few hundred miles, soon as he lost the top gear it was time for a new filter and off he went again then again that was back when trans fluid was a buck a quart.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by taterfarm
go buy a cheap sunpro tack for $30 at about any autoparts store, best $30 I have spent and its been in 4 vehicles over the past 10 years.

Whats the symptoms of the truck now? whats the fluid smell like and how does it shift?

keep posting whats going on with details and someone here is bound to know what is wrong and help you on your way.

My brother nursed his chevy trans for a few extra months with filter changes every few hundred miles, soon as he lost the top gear it was time for a new filter and off he went again then again that was back when trans fluid was a buck a quart.
It's hard for me to check anything else at this poi t as I am in a different state than my truck. But I do have people who can check for me and are reliable.

Here is the long version of my story:

When I first left my house for ca my truck hauled fine. It did shutter in first if ingot on the gas quickly. It if I eased her into moving she was fine. On the highway I was doing 60 rather easy. When I got to any incline there was usually a decline in speed but maybe 10-20% is all. This goes for any hill (not that there are very steep ones from Tn to Nm.) The few times I went in reverse it shuttered like it did in 1st. When I got about 500 miles the shuttering seemed to be getting worse because it was harder to ease her into moving and avoiding the shutter. At this time I also noticed my engine overheat light came on. After a break I kept driving and it was back on again. Some quick diagnostics led me to a bad fan clutch that would t kick on. A quick replacement and I was on my way. After another 100 miles I had it really started slowing down on the hills. It seemed to get worse and worse faster. After I stopped for the night I couldn't get my truck started. I found out my fuel pump was bad. Oddly enough the next morning I went to change out the pump and inadvertently pumped it and fuel came out. Surprised, I did some research and found it could fail when warm or it was a bad fuel line when warm. I opted to buy a new fuel filter, pump and all rubber line in engine bay. After all was replaced I noticed a huge change in throttle response. At this time I checked the trans fluid (the proper way) and realized it was 2 qts low. While I did have a trans shop "get me ready for the trip" my guess is the check it incorrectly and I had been short 2 qts for some time. I topped her off and it seemed I was operating way better, shuttering nearly stopped and I could actually get going in first and second. When I got to the highway all seemed well but I felt as tho I was pulling a 30k load with a vw. I just couldnt get going. On the downhills I could get to 65 but would loose it on the flats! Hills were a joke, I would slow from 65 down a hill to 40 ish on ANY size hill. The bigger ones put me between 12-25 mph. That's when I decided my aunts house in abq was a better stopping point for the truck then Cali at this point.

Oddly enough, that's all the info I could gather. There were no smells to my truck, no fluid leaks or signs of leaks, no smelly brakes, no faulty brakes etc, nothing. I smell the oils and all trans and engine smell like oil. I smell trans and brakes (on truck and trailer) and nothing.

That's the entire story, if I remember something I will post but I think that's it.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

How do you plan on getting truck back home to Cali ?and at this point I would start looking for enough stuff to just drop a cummin's in it then you will have a beast that will tow pretty much all you need .

Quick Reply: Truck won't go fast, over 43 mph