1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck wont die...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck wont die...

I have tried and tried to search this topic but the search function is still on the fritz so Ill just ask. While changing out the fuel pin this weekend I developed a no kill situation. Now Ive been around the block a time or two with the fuel shut off solenoids but for it to go out and hang in the open position just after changing my pin seems like unlikely odds. Ive had em hang closed before but never open, Ive been having to manually kill it everytime. The engine doesnt miss a lick when you shut the key off, it just purrs right on like nothing happened. Let me know what yall think and if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Pull Cable Kill time
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Eventually, we all reach the point where fuel flow is enough to tear a plug from the fuel solenoid's plunger's rubber tip.

Before condemning it and going to the pull-cable means of shutting down, look in the sticky for a thread where you might be able to repair the plunger.

It's worth a shot if you have the time to mess with it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi Denny

Hey just had problems with my solenoid. It would hang up both ways. I could take the key out and she would keep on runnin. I could crank er over and she wouldn't start. While she is runnin try tapping the solenoid and see if she shuts down. Or if she won't start try the same. At least you will know it's the solenoid. But I guess you knew that anyway. Go to the stickey it's a pretty easy fix. I think mine just had some smutz in it. The plug was fine. I just cleaned the thing out and it's fine.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM

Yeah I hammered just short of knocking the pump off and it still didnt budge it. The kill part is what I was worried about, Im afraid now that its fragged that it might shut close on me too, I dont have a crows foot handy just yet and Im dreading the roadside repair. I guess thats what it could be, too much fuel, the pin is a custom CNC job and it flows a ton of fuel. Oh well, I like the pull cable deal Ill just head in that direction. Other than the solenoid issue I wouldnt have by any chance bent or damaged the pin that touches the fuel pin.....just curious.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM

You will have to check this out but I understand if you take the plunger out of the solenoid you won't have any problems with "it" working or at least know fuel is gettin to the pump. Of course you will have to shut it down manualy. For fuel to get to the fuel pin it has to go through the solenoid. The pin can't be to rich if the solenoid is closed. In other words if it's not shutting down it's the solenoid not closeing.

If you take the plunger out don't hook up the wires that are on the solenoid now to the solenoid. Take them off and wire nut or tape them together.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Yeah Im all over that. One time 1stgen545 and I were getting a 6bt ready for a customer to come get and hear and right before he got there the stupid solenoid hung up on us. The motor was on a pallet with a little tin can of diesel running too it, we were scramblin to get it together to have him hear it. It was then I knew that I was going to bypass all of 'em that I ever got a hold of. Still curious if the pin changing had anything to do with it though, seems so weird that it never once let me down and the day I go to R&D the pin it quits........hmmmmmm
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM

New fuel pin huh? Guess well have to race again, now that Im hx35 and getrag equipped, just as you were at our last go.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

I just went the pull cable route myself. I used the temp control cable from an old truck in the yard.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Well sure nuff, pulled the solenoid and there was rubber missing. I pull cabled it and now all is good. Thanks for the replies. Ill be in Deleon rbrett, Ill see ya there.