1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck wanders ALL over the road

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck wanders ALL over the road

So i just installed a 6" skyjacker system with rear springs and dual steering stabilizers. Im running 37x13.5x17 Nitto mud grapplers. And the truck is all over the place once u get up over 30km/hr. The roads here are bad, but any rut, groove, or bump and im all most in the ditch or another lane. All new poly bushings installed and sway bar as well has new bushings. Is it the tires? Or anyone else have problems with their kit?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 PM

oh and alignment guys at tire shop said caster was out but not to bad, everything else is within spec
Old 07-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like my truck before I replaced the stearing gear box. Does it seem like you can't keep it straight going down the road?? Probably was bad before, then with the added lift and tires it is showing up.. Are you using the drop pitman arm and the adjustable drag link??
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Check for play in the steering coupler on top of the steering box. They can be rebuilt for $11.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM

dropped pitman arm yes, but no an adjustable drag link. it was a bit loose before but then i replaced tie rods and steering shaft with a borgeson and it cleaned that all up. would ladder bars help? it has some axle wrap when first starting out
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM

I don't know if you've addressed this, but the stock rebuildable joint in the steering shaft is GARBAGE! I replaced mine w/ a Borgeson shaft and it made a big difference. I've also been considering adding a track bar to my truck, cuz I know that would tighten up the 'loose' feeling.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM

track bar?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM

As for the adjustable drag link I opted not to, correct me if im wrong but it only aligns your steering wheel and with a borgeson coupler u can just move the shaft a few splines for correction. I built my own drop brackets for the sway bar. about 3" lower, would dropping further help a bit?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
if it's still wandering and you've replaced tie rod ends and gotten a borgeson shaft check the steering box, steering box mounting bracket for cracks and/or the kingpins for excessive play. If it's none of the above, then I don't know what to tell ya :S

I've basically replaced my entire front end of my truck so I know what you mean about loose steering...
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
the stock steering shaft link was tight in my 1993 with 55K miles when I pulled it off (replaced with borgeson I had laying around from the 1990 I am parting out.)

BUT when I got it off the truck, I tipped the joint pointed down and a bunch of water came out

So I'm imagining that that's why they put boots over them in some applcations I've seeen but without that even, the Pot joint seems to act as a literal pot for water from the road when you drive in the rain...

All that is needed is sheer time and the joint will rust to uselessness.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM

i just noticed that the truck is leaning a bit, measured the wheel to fender distance on all 4, and the back is about 3/4" high and the front 1/2" on the same side of the truck. would this have anything to do with it?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Battery, Driver and Fuel tank all on the same side are the usual suspects
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM

I guess ill try a steering box... Im building some ladder bars, hopefully they help a little too
Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Ace
Banned

Check the spring eye mount brackets and shackle frame bushings. They have been known to get rivets coming loose and/or crack/rust, whatever, etc..
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM

First off good to see an other person from Alberta.
I did the full 4 inch lift with the adjustable drag and the sway bar in place plus the dropped pitman (no steering Block) , All my steering joints were replaces so they are tight, plus i put a single bump steer on mine. I still wander a bit too, I have checked the frame ...no cracks. No slop what so ever in my steering plus had alignment (not sure if they did correct) I myself have suspicions on mine that I need to do the upper and lower kingpins
As far as a sag I lucked out I do not have any droop on mine yet , I am 300 pounds so I excepted it ,The wife's little 4x4 shorty hemi sags so i wouldn't think it matters , there again it might ( I not a steering expert)
I do find that if i hit a bump at low and or higher speeds my truck does wander a but , It seems that when the suspension unloads the truck wanders a tad Thats why i think in my case it may be the king pins
plus these trucks seem to always have had loose or sensitive steering

oh by the way How about some pictures

Quick Reply: Truck wanders ALL over the road