1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thx. Nice video. Saw the bypass high pressure check valve and that addresses clogging concerns. I am going to put one in when I drop the pan/filter and do a band adjustment in a couple months. Think I will just change out the magnefine filter every few thousand with regular engine oil changes. I would imagine it doesn't matter if it gets installed in the rubber hose pressure or return side at the cooler? One might be a bit more access friendly than the other.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Seems like it may be a better idea to use the inline Magnefine filter rather than just dropping rare earth magnets in the bottom of the trans pan. Because it is inline, all fluid passes through consistently. However, it appears there is also some secondary filter media in the Magnefine filters but I could not find any detail on that. Did not see a dimension or size of the inline filter listed. My concern is that if the size of the inline filter is fairly small and there is secondary media in there aside from magnets, it may clog much quicker than a pan filter and restrict flow sooner. Anyone have any additional info on the Magnefine for inline trans filtration or used them on a 727?

I have a coupe of the Magnefine filters that I had for my 700R4 in my last diesel truck and I always thought the filter was on the small side for the amount of fluid that had to go through them, so I also installed a spin on filter.
Unless the 1/2" filter is considerable larger I plan on using a NAPA Gold filter and either stick magnets on the outside of it or drop a magnet inside before I install it to catch any metal particles that flow past it along with the magnets in the pan.

I know of a couple of transmission shops that install them after a rebuild and will not warranty the trans if it is missing.

All of the big transmissions I have worked on like GM TH-750, V-730 and the Allison's all had spin on filters and only a magnetic drain plug and they went 1/2 to 3/4 million miles before a rebuild.

Jim
Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Well,

Like the guy said in the video, lots of "fine, fine medical particles"

Two greasy thumbs up !