1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
If coolant/water and transmission fluid act the same when mixed as coolant/water and engine oil do, I would venture a guess that there could be a pin-hole sized leak in the factory transmission cooler on the side of the block.

I've always heard the recommendation that if you're truck or car is a daily driver, service the transmission once every year. While that may sound like overkill to some people, at least you'd know of an sooner rather than later and before it gets out of hand.
That very well could be i wouid send in a oil sample. Transmissions dont like coolant.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If coolant/water and transmission fluid act the same when mixed as coolant/water and engine oil do, I would venture a guess that there could be a pin-hole sized leak in the factory transmission cooler on the side of the block.
Then he'd have trans fluid in the antifreeze then as the transmission fluid pressure there is higher than the engine coolant. It'd been seen in the radiator filler/cap thingy.

Seems I've read where rain water has been known to run down the dip-stick (and that area) and get into the trans via a loose dip-stick tube O-ring . . . on some vehicles. Don't know if that's an issue here .. .. maybe.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jbawden
Did I read the post correctly, you put the nasty 50k mile old brown oil (mud) back in the tranny?
Why ruin perfectly good, New trans fluid. The damage is done (burned-up clutches).
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM

yeah, that looked too brown to be just heat, but after 50K, I would expect the oil to be brown, just not milky brown. This is a 727, you can't kill these things, well most people can't.
Slipping going from a stop, you're positive its in first, how was the adjustment on the front band(2nd gear).
Oil change interval, 15K, do it. Drop pan, change oil and filter. Not having a magnet in the pan is not good either. The metal goes everywhere.

More than likely your low clutch is about gone, and the metal shaving could be the rear planetary or the front, their both aluminum. any bronze shaving, could be the pump bushing.
How many miles on the trans?
It does look like time for a rebuild though.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Then he'd have trans fluid in the antifreeze then as the transmission fluid pressure there is higher than the engine coolant. It'd been seen in the radiator filler/cap thingy.
Coolant can flow the other direction as well when the engine is shutdown and oil/transmission fluid pressure drops though. While it may not be much, the cooling system then has more pressure than the transmission fluid or oil system.

However, you are still correct, it can go both ways.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Kind of hard to tell from the pics but that really does look like contaminated vs. burned, way too opaque, unless there is a TON of particulates suspended in it. I`d double/tripple check the heat exchanger, maybe send a sample out for analysis.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva
50,000 miles I"m it even moves.

24,000 is the recommended.
Well I went and checked my mileage log and it is actually only about 42,000 miles that I had driven in the last 3 years, i did not realized that I had driven that much.
Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KRB
Derale offers a tranny cooler with the proper size lines. Thats what I've been running.

Trans fluid almost looks like its contaminated? Was there more than there should be? Sometimes that heat exchange heater thing along the right side of the block can leak and allow coolant/AT fluid to cross.
That is what I am looking for do you happen to have a part number and a price? do you know how many BTU the cooler is rated for?

Also I have found on ebay a 29,200 BTU cooler that looks like I can mount it onto my existing fan unit, it has 48 plates 11"x11"x1 1/2" and has 1/2" NPT fittings.

Ill have to take a closer look under the truck and see how I can reroute my lines.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jbawden
Did I read the post correctly, you put the nasty 50k mile old brown oil (mud) back in the tranny?
Yes guilty, and again it was only about 42,000 miles.

I only dropped the pan to check the condition of the insides and to replace the filter figuring it was going to be full of many broken parts, I needed this information and pictures so I could go the the transmission shop on Monday and let him know what I had found.

I had it in my mind that I was going to bring it in next week to have it rebuilt but now I am not sure.

The gallon of fluid that I took out I filtered it through a paint strainer and returned it to see if it was still going to run.

There was only less that a 1/4" of fluid on the bottom of the pan and it had what looked like clutch material, specks of bronze, some aluminum slivers and a bit of ferrous filings, the fluid that I pumped out into the bottle was dark.

I took samples to the shop and he looked at them and he said he has seen them with a lot more that that and they were still working fine.

The fluid did not small burned in fact it did not even smell like transmission fluid, it just looked well used, I have pulled the transmissions from cars that have never been serviced and the fluid was still red after 30+ years of use.

Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Administrator

So after talking to the tech at the transmission shop here is what I am going to do,
I am going to install my gauges and check the line pressure at idle, cruising and at stall then I am going to drain the trans again of all of the fluid that I can and adjust the bands then I will disconnect the cooler line returning to the transmission and flush and purge the line it until the fluid returns red using good heavy duty transmission fluid http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa.../shell_spirax/ and then check and compare my line pressures with the old fluid I took out.

My transmission did this exact same thing three years ago and I thought then the trans was toast but after I had it serviced it started working fine and never skipped a beat until last week when it started to slip again, funny thing is the truck runs and shifts fine after I drive of a couple of blocks, then if it still has a problem I will go ahead and have it rebuilt.

It has a Trans Go Shift Kit already installed but the shifts do not snap into gear the way they used to when it was new.

He also said he though the metal slivers were from the torque converter, he said to just service it and see if it stops slipping, you could get more time out of it but like I said, It has to be dependable and even though I have free towing waiting in downtown Los Angeles for the tow truck to get there at 3:00 A.M. could be just as exciting.

My next project is to get the cooler circuits cleaned up, replace all of the rubber lines, replace the leaking cooler under the bed and install a spin on filter, might even stick in a sight glass post filter.

And oh yes install my transmission temperature gauge.

Here is what I bought, 14 quarts would cost the same as a 5-gallon pail (20 quarts) $62.50

http://www-static.shell.com/static/u...d_md3_flyr.pdf

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa.../shell_spirax/

I also bought a filter from Pep Boys.

I think when I had my transmission serviced last time he (The Toy Shop) took off the magnet when he washed out the pan and forgot to put it back in.

He also added a friction modifier additive to the mix but I do not remember what it was.

I need to find another one so I can replace it or I can stick a handful of rare earth magnets on the bottom of the pan until I find one.

My life is really crazy when it comes to a scheduled maintenance, On Monday I can plan to do something on Saturday but by Friday plans have completely changed and then on Sunday I remembered about Saturday but now I am working or I will get a migraine and loose 3 days of my life.

Has anyone ever used the ATF from Wal Mart?

I bought some to top of my transmission last week when it started slipping and that stuff is really nasty, it doesn't have the distinct aroma of ATF but smells like your hands after you rubbed down a sweaty camel after crossing the desert, really wants to gag you, is it recycled or something?

BTW does anyone know the part numbers and price for a Goerend or Suncoast converter for my A-727.

Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you talking super tech brand stuff??? I've used it several times with out a problem...also at 42000 miles it shouldn't of just up and died, i run mine out to 80k before changing, and the fluid is still bright red, only time i change soon is if it starts to turn darker red,
also the trans i've seen that had burned up clutches worked fine cold slipped when hot when the fluid thined out. sounds to me like your filter got plugged and had a hard time pumping when cold.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I bought a 95 Range Rover for 2500 bucks and after getting it on the road the tranny was slipping bad. It had 160k miles and I don't think the fluid had ever been changed, it was dark, almost black, but didn't smell burnt. I thought it was a goner, but I changed it, twice in order to flush it a bit and have run it trouble free for almost 20k miles, but it is already turning a dirty, ugly dark color. I did some checking and it seems that this is normal for these trannys. That said, the fluid in my 62 ford 2 speed is always bright red, no matter what, so maybe some tranys do it and some don't...Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Has anyone ever used the ATF from Wal Mart?

I bought some to top of my transmission last week when it started slipping and that stuff is really nasty, it doesn't have the distinct aroma of ATF but smells like your hands after you rubbed down a sweaty camel after crossing the desert, really wants to gag you, is it recycled or something?

Jim
I have used it and while doing so I have had a 47RH quit working on me. I cannot say that I am 100% sure that it was the cheaper Walmart fluid that did it, but I can say that fluid was in the transmission when it stopped working.

Also I have been told by a reputable source that Super Tech ATF is recycled. I chose to stop using it after these incidents that I have had.

Caleb
Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by cmann250
I have used it and while doing so I have had a 47RH quit working on me. I cannot say that I am 100% sure that it was the cheaper Walmart fluid that did it, but I can say that fluid was in the transmission when it stopped working.

Also I have been told by a reputable source that Super Tech ATF is recycled. I chose to stop using it after these incidents that I have had.

Caleb
Interesting. I wonder if their Super Tech 2-cycle oil is recycled as well?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if their Super Tech 2-cycle oil is recycled as well?
I'd like to see that one, doesn't most 2 stroke oil get burnt up? ...Sorry, I couldn't resist. Also, I would think that it would have to be labeled recycled, IMHO...Mark

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping