1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Post Transmission Cooler

How many feet?

Does anyone know how many feet of 1/2" hose is needed to replace the hose for the Under Bed Cooler?

It is spliced into the cooler lines under the torque converter, I want to replace mine but I am not sure how many feet that will need to buy.

I approximated about 18" with a tape measure but it was not done real scientifically.

Does the FSM have any information on this and was there a TSB on installing a bypass for the cooler, not that I would install one.

Also the hose I have now says “Transmission” printed on the side of it, is there any reason that I could not use Hydraulic hose or any hose that is resistant to Hydraulic Oil and a high enough temperature rating?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
How many feet?

Does anyone know how many feet of 1/2" hose is needed to replace the hose for the Under Bed Cooler?

It is spliced into the cooler lines under the torque converter, I want to replace mine but I am not sure how many feet that will need to buy.

I approximated about 18" with a tape measure but it was not done real scientifically.

Does the FSM have any information on this and was there a TSB on installing a bypass for the cooler, not that I would install one.

Also the hose I have now says “Transmission” printed on the side of it, is there any reason that I could not use Hydraulic hose or any hose that is resistant to Hydraulic Oil and a high enough temperature rating?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
In general terms, the only real differences in hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid are : Trans fluid has a red dye so you can identify it and Trans fluid has a higher detergent percentage than regular old hydraulic fluid.
So yes you can use any hydraulic hose that is heat and oil resistant.
Are you going to build the hoses yourself Jim? If you get the reusable fittings they are dirt simple to assemble. Since I have a Parker crimper at work any hose I need to make will not use the reusable type fittings, but they are just as good as the crimped ones if done correctly.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using parker push-lok hose and fittings on mine, but the hose is only rated for 200deg, but that is also at 200psi, so at minimal pressure I think it will be fine. But i'll keep an eye on it.

For the length, I can't help you as mine is mounted in a different location, and i've got an extended cab truck.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what i used for my lines. I was using the push-lok hose like apwatson50 mentioned but it got a hole in it from something on the bottom of the truck. I lost 3 gallons of fluid . I also used this to protect to hose. I have the hose connected to standard barbed fittings. I was told that the hoses won't see more than 10psi of pressure so i did not see no need to use the correct crimped fittings.

I purchased 13 foot of hose when i did mine but that was way to much. I think i had about 4 foot left over.