1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

transfer case 91 ram 250 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transfer case 91 ram 250 CTD

Hi everyone, great to be a part of this forum. You've already helped me diagnose a shutdown solenoid problem on my 91 ram250. Many thanks!

I wonder if anyone could give some advice around rebuilding/replacing my transfer case. The shafts have alot of play at both ends and both seals leak(not too badly though). I have to haul some heavy loads this summer, and a used T- case costs about $800 Canadian. A rebuilt is over $1000.00, but I have not checked out rebuilding my old one yet.

If it were a simple case of doing seals and bearings I may do it myself. Which would you suggest to be the most sensible option for a guy with limited funds?
Old 04-17-2004, 12:35 PM

you should have a np 205 in that truck if it doesn't have a pile of miles on it probably doesn't need rebuilt. tose are gear drive cases and are most likely the strongest most durable trans fer case ever put in a pickup. I have never been inside one but i imagine you could put seals and bearings in it your self , maybe doesn't even need bearings, seals are eazy as removing yokes and pop old seal out new on but in and replace yokes.

jed
Old 04-17-2004, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give it a go and have a look in there.

The only worry I have is the amount of play in the shafts coming out into the yoke. I'm sure you could get into the thing and replace them if necssary.

I only have 268 000 kilometers on it, approx 165,000 miles if my math is good. As this is the first 205 I've owned, I'm glad to hear from someone that has had experience with one.

Has anyone out there been into a 205 before? Anything to watch for? Special tools needed? I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned, with that few miles it shouldent need a rebuild. I have had the yoke nut come loose a little and made it look like the bearing was shot. Does it make any growling noise? The seals are easy. These were used up to 5 ton rigs, they cant be beat IMO
Old 04-17-2004, 09:35 PM

The rear output bearing is as easy as putting the seal in. In fact, when I did my seal I put a bearing in just cuz. Didn't need it, but wanted to be sure. Yeah, the yokes come loose. Loctite helps along with a BIG torque wrench Jim
Old 04-18-2004, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to have a peak at the yokes to eliminate that as the problem, but I think the shafts themselves have quite a bit of play. There is also a bit of a growl there as well, which makes me suspect the bearings.

I hope that if it isn't a loose yoke, the bearings and seals will do the trick. I hope I haven't buggered up the shafts, as I would rather not have to take the whole thing apart.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Hi guys,

I checked the yokes and unfortunately for me they are both good. The play is in the shafts on both sides. I'm hoping to heaven that doing the bearings will take up the play in the shafts, and that the shafts aren't buggered up.

I would greatly appreciate a rundown on doing the bearings, front and rear if someone has done this.(front looks to be a little more difficult, rear not bad). I have done alot of jobs on vehicles over the years, but none on a transfer case yet. It looks to me like you pull off the yoke, pull the seal, then the bearing, but not sure. Can't be too bad anyways. Thanks guys!