1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

trans temp sender, where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans temp sender, where to put it?

I just got me a isspro electric trans temp gauge off ebay and was wondering where the best place to put it was? I've heard of some guys putting it in the pan, but others say to put it in the hot line to get an accurate reading. I know on the transmission line by the linkage/band adjustment and all that above the pan has a little sensor in it already. Do i just take that out and put the trans temp sender in right there? It came with a few fittings and it looks like one will fit there. If i take the sensor out thats in it now will it do anything? These trucks don't have a trans temp light that i know of...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM

1st....Don't take that existing sensor out. It's there to keep the trans from going into OD in the event the trans temp gets TOO hot. (but take note as to where the factory thought trans temp should be monitored... )

My suggestion (for what it's worth):
Put the new temp sending unit in the trans line (forward most trans line, as close to the trans as possible). This will allow you to monitor the HOTTEST point of the trans. If you keep that temp in check, the "in pan" temp will never be an issue. The problem with the "in pan" sensors is, by the time your trans temp gauge shows an overheat, you've already done damage. The "in pan" sensor will only monitor ambient trans temp...which occurs AFTER the trans cooler.

The "in line" manner give you trans temp right off the pump/converter.

Put it in the trans cooler line and you are MUCH better off. There is a reason Dodge put the other sensor there.....
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM

isn't the line coming out of the front of the tranny with the OD too hot sensor the hot line? I did a search yesterday on it and read some older threads and a lot of people said to put it there and that it didn't do anything when they took the sensor out. I can watch my gauge and take it out of OD myself if it gets too hot. I have a bigger trans cooler with a fan on a switch (still need to wire in a relay for the heat sensor in it so it will turn on by itselft) I've heard that if you put it in the pan, it won't react to the gauge fast enough.

Also other question: At what temp does trans fluid start to burn/cook?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM

I bought one of these from Geno's...

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....CUTEMP_ADAPTER

Slipped some "Heat sink compound" from Radio Shack between the line and the adapter. Works good.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM

I bought a tee and removed the stock sensor and threaded the tee in there. Then I put the stock sensor back in one side of the tee. I put my isspro sensor in the other port and it works well.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 PM

I'd put the sensor in the hot line, and then tape the original sensor off some place cool so the trans won't randomly shift out of overdrive when it's fine. You just become the safety switch now. Or, adding the tee to the equation sounds like it would be an even better route, since you'd get both. I think 250 is about the temp you don't want to see it at. 200 - 220 for a normal high temp, I'm figuring.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM

I decided to use the tee and keep the stock sensor in case I let someone else drive it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My theory.....

There is a reason that we put a pyrometer in the manifold and not the cylinder?

The cylinder WILL be hot no matter what. We need to monitor the OVERALL temp.

I say put it in the pan. Monitor overall temp and not just the hot side.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I bought a tee and removed the stock sensor and threaded the tee in there. Then I put the stock sensor back in one side of the tee. I put my isspro sensor in the other port and it works well.
Bill, do you know the size and specs on the tee you used? What style Isspro gauge/sensor do you have or what is the best, reasonable gauge/sensor combo to buy? Thanks.

Sal
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM

My gauge is the isspro ev series I am not sure what size all the fittings were.