1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

trans temp piggyback sender location

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans temp piggyback sender location

Ok I searched and I searched but iI can't find it Somebody has a really nice pic of how they remove the fact tran temp sensor added a tee then reinstalled the fact tran sensor and the aftermarket sender. You know who you are so give it up Also could you pls tell me how this location compares with pan readings thanks. oh ya size or normal aplication of tee used
Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM

I did that but didn't post a pitcure , now I'm going to undo it becouse now in cold weather it gets less heat and takes a lot longer to lit the 4th & OD work , some guys are using just the gauge sensor in that spot and the putting a 1000 ohm resistor where the old sensor was .
Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 PM

I did the tee and have no cold weather issues. It's 3/8 pipe, just bought a brass tee and short nipple from the hardware store.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 AM

I believe you want to look for rattlinram (sp?) picture gallery. He has a nice setup
Old 03-04-2006, 11:40 AM

Here you go:

Old 03-04-2006, 12:14 PM

THANKS DAN, yes thats the one, could you tell me about the temps from here? Is this fluid coming off the cluthes and internals or from the tc? Any issues with this install/location. Many thanks Eric
Old 03-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Around town, I normally see 160-190*, depending on how many traffic lights I get caught at and for how long. Freeway driving (empty) normally is under 180*. Highest I've seen was when loaded to the max "rated" (14k lbs - camper on the truck, towing the Jeep on the trailer) in the mountains, and it would eventually hit 230*, which isn't bad considering this is coming straight from the converter. I installed a big, fan mounted transmission cooler under the bed to help keep the temps down.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Thanks Dan ;that would be the hottest reading ,which means the stuff in the pan would be cooler . I also have the factory under bed cooler... nice colors on your truck......I have the same many thanks Eric
Old 03-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Cool

Maybe I'll jump in here with some thought's (ok old guy thinking... )

The output line is the hottest part of the oil circuit....my output temps could heat up REAL quick when I was just doing a bit of "playing" on the highway...I mean REALLY REALLY quick....
In addition to that the T' ing in that *I* did always seemed to leak or at the very least 'sweat' trans. oil....
The answer was to weld the fitting in place...no more leak.
Now in the mean time (before I got to welding and such) I had my DTT system installed.
That included a mag hyteck trans pan...which as luck would have it, has a temp sender fitting right there in the pan.
I've used that ever since...(Yup, still got the nicely welded and painted cross-over line around somewere).
I have heard a number of opinions and so forth but it SEEMS that the common theory is to use the pan mount as you are wanting to know what the temp is just as the oil enters the system....

To this day, I'm still open to idea's and other thought's though....

bob....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:21 AM

How about a sender in each location and a switch to switch between the senders so you could get the readings from either location. I guess you could put another guage in there too but I don't have the room for that. I am saving that location for a fuel pressure guage.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Question hughes converter

mudcat how do you like the hughes converter what do they cost?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mudcat
How about a sender in each location and a switch to switch between the senders so you could get the readings from either location.
Measuring both would be ideal - there are benefits to each location. Having the sender in the pan gives you the fluid temp as it starts going through the transmission, and lets you know how well the cooling system is working. Since I only have one sender, I chose to put where the fluid is the hottest - right from the converter - so I can downshift when things get toasty to keep the temps reasonable. I've talked to a dozen different people and got a dozen different opinions of which is best, so I think it comes down to personal preference.