1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Trans parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Trans parts

I've tried asking in the second gen area but not many answers. So I'll try it here. My single cab has a 4500 in it. It sound real close to having a 4 speed(It's about to loose 5th gear). I've found a company on ebay that has an updated main shaft, gear, and parts kit for 415$. I understand that the real fix is the torq king main shaft kit from quad 4x4, but if I could save 1200 then that would be neat, and would be nice to not dip into my funds set aside for a Giles pump, but If I have to then I have to. Just looking for opinions and if anyone has bought from this company. I do see that he sells getrag parts so maybe someone here has bought from him. Sorry for the novel!!

I've talked to Dave and he said it would be ok to post an item number just not a link to the site. The item number is 370376970374
The company's discription is;

This is an updated mainshaft, 5th gear, updated 5th gear nut and a complete rebuild kit for the Dodge 4x4 NV4500 transmission. This will only work for a 4x4 vehicle!

This kit includes all new high quality bearings, seals, gaskets, high quality lined OEM synchro rings, an updated mainshaft, updated 5th gear nut and a new 5th gear.

The Dodge Cummins Diesel is so powerful that the torque will eventually work the 5th gear nut off and you will lose 5th gear. This updated mainshaft and updated nut is designed so that the 5th gear nut will not eventually work itself off. The updated shaft is fully splined under 5th gear and the gear is held on with two half moon washers for extra support. The updated nut is also supported by two set screws that go into the threads on the mainshaft to prevent the nut from being able to spin off.

PLEASE NOTE: This transmission uses a 3 piece 1st and 2nd gear synchro rings. The outer rings and the inner rings are NOT included in this kit. This kit only includes the middle fiber lined 1st and 2nd gear rings because they are the only pieces that wear. We do stock the inner and outer synchro rings, so just let us know if you need them and we can add them to your order for just the cost of the rings if sent with your kit.
This is an actual picture of the item for sale. This is NOT a generic picture.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
FWIW, my NV4500 had some version of the updated fully splined shaft, and it still backed off. I personally did not do the repair, so I cannot say it was done properly, but it was a repair/exchange unit from a rebuilder. ( sorry, don't know which one, PO did the work )

I used the nut retainer that just came out, got mine from Ebay, but there is also a site just for it. 140 bucks.

Way too early to tell if this will be the final solution, and it will only work for 4X4 units, but it is what I personally believe to be the best overall fix.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM

I'm understanding what you are saying, but I got my trans out this weekend and there are bigger problems. My input took out the counter shaft, or vice versa how ever you want to look at it. 5 gear is very sloppy on the main so I will need a shaft and gear at least. I haven't torn down the main shaft yet so I may find some other goodies once it get it compleatly apart on a beanch.
Now I gotta do a cost anyaliss and a reman vs. rebuilding. I got a couple gears that don't look to good either.

Still need to pull the bell and look how bad the clutch is. I had the money for a Kenny's duel disk, but with the new found damage that may get down graded.....Well I guess not, I'll still get a Kenny's but gotta dip in the Gile's injection pump piggy bank.

Also found I'm gonna have to have another drive line built, as the "slip" portion has too much play (explains the vibration when letting out at high speeds). Found a shop local that will upgrade it to a garenteed "what ever I can throw at it" life time warranty, but he wants 300$ and about a week.

And last but not least, reminded my self how much I hate being old and forgetful. As I now realize that the Air Dog is held on the frame with 3 "tight" 3/8" bolts. Not 2 loose 3/8" bolts. I have no excuesses for that one, Guess I was so excited to give it a test drive I didn't tight up the bolts? But the 700$ pump didn't fall out on the street, so I was lucky!

End Novel
Advice, suggestions, questions?
Pictures will be added of carnage, once I get it torn down.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Oh absolutely, if your shaft is sloppy, you gotta do it. Mine happened to have just been replaced, so I was fine with a new nut and the retainer. I guess I was more thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to put one of the retainers on in addition to the revised mainshaft, unless you don't really mind dropping the TC and Tailhousing later if it comes loose again.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM

As promised pictures. Pocket bearing failed, causing the input to go a bit sideways, which in turn made for bad contact on the counter, then metal went though the whole transmission and took out 2nd and 3rd gears. 5th both driven and drive are gone too. 1-2 outer blocker ring is gone to, but not from this failure. Don't know what made the pocket bearing fail? I suppose low fluid level from my cracked tail housing? But then again maybe something small got in the oiling hole and didn't allow oil to get into the bearing. I don't think it shows in the picture but I scraped out some of the plastic cage that was supposed to house the pocket bearing, it was a molten mess in the input shaft. Oh well live and learn.

Now lets talk about cryogenic freezing of my new parts that I'm ordering? I read all kinds of pro's not so much con's. Is there something I'm missing? It's not expensive at all for all of the benefits. There is a local company here in the valley and he said he can do it for about 4$ per pound, and the price goes down the more you take to him.

More pictures to come, once all my new purdy parts show up, and maybe some of them will have the purdy gold color you get from freezing parts?
Attached Thumbnails Trans parts-imag0148.jpg   Trans parts-imag0167.jpg   Trans parts-imag0165.jpg   Trans parts-imag0160.jpg