1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

tranny swap or keep auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny swap or keep auto?

Found another. w350 cc, 135k, 4x4 dually. with Auto Trans.

I have been wanting a 5spd due to planned use for the truck. I pull an equipment trailer sometimes loaded pretty heavy, and usually have to pull up out of old farm fields and muddy roads.

Its driving me nuts not having a truck, but i dont wanna get something ill regret. Cost wise, what does it take to put a Getrag or NV4500 into one of these trucks? or How much $$ needs to go into one of these autos to make them bullet proof. I do plan to BOMB away on the rig also

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The old autos seem to be pretty tough. Put a big cooler on it, get a tighter TC and a shift kit or upgraded VB and it will handle the work. Somewhere around $1500 at worst if you do the work yourself. The TC swap is the hardest part.

Definitely cheaper to do minor upgrades to the automatic than to swap in a manual unless you find a good donor truck cheap.

If you really want a manual, wait for it.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 AM

The manuals were not as tough as the auto's from what I've heard.

That said... I am not sold on my stock auto in my '93 4x4 DRW. I think some tricks are needed, (governor spring, fueling pin, TC) Yesterday I brought home my new toy, (Tracked Bobcat / 6 accessories) (180 miles of fairly flat freeway) the gross combined wieght was ~25k, I keep truck licensed for 28k (if I tow my Crawler) Pulling from a stop on a hill was always making me wonder if it was actually going to make it. I do have a huge factory Trans cooler, and it ran ~50% of time. I had to keep speed below 55, as tires were getting too hot on trailer (triple axle singles, Eager Beaver backhoe trailer)

But, since we have some pretty steep hills (10% + for last 3 miles home) I might need to get a bigger truck (I would love to find a Studebaker with TD Detroit diesel, air brakes, and a 15 spd) Currently I'm using low range w/o hubs engaged for the steep stuff, but coming down has me worried!! (with an auto)
Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I'm gonna throw my hat into the "auto" choice....
If you do the full swap over to the updated NV4500, 13 1/4" conversion clutch and so forth you're looking at some pretty respectible $$$$, even if you do most of the work.
For a decent and comparible price you can put in an upgraded auto/TC/VB etc that will more than do the job...you can even go to a lock-up convertor if you want to, although it is more expensive....

Do some poking around on the web, ask some guys what they're using/towing/carrying and their tranny setup....you will find that there are some excellent choices out there either way..

pb....