1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

TPS parts source

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007 | 03:57 PM

TPS parts source

I was looking through some older posts here at DTR a week back. Someone posted that this place http://tinyurl.com/2f46dd, had the cheapest price on a replacement TPS ($108 I believe, I can't seem to locate the post a second time). Anyway; I punched in the Cummin's TPS part # 3621094, and can't come up with a parts listing on Reliablegoods.com? I went to Autozone's site, and they carry a Niehoff TPS for $197.99, part # FE4089.
I will probably go the Potientmeter (SP) route, but just thought I would check on TPS pricing.
Old 12-02-2007 | 06:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

$200 is typical.
Old 12-02-2007 | 06:16 PM

The potentiometer works great once you get it set where you want. I manually control the OD with the OD off switch, and my potentiometer broke, so I replaced it with two 2.2kOhm resistors and it works great.

I'd recommend the potentiometer though.
Old 12-02-2007 | 06:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I looked around some for you, the best price for the right TPS that I found was on rockauto.com. Only $30 less than Autozone, so it's still painful.
Old 12-02-2007 | 08:20 PM

Dave and all,
Thanks for the input on my TPS post. For the price of a replacement, I think I will go the Pot route. I will be gathering up the parts at the local Radio Shack
Old 12-03-2007 | 12:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

check with NAPA on the sheilded cable... was cheaper than what Radio Shack wanted for teh same thing.

Also, the smallest POT teh local RS had here came with a 2 1/2 inch **** shaft. You can cut it down with a hacksaw, but DO NOT clamp teh POT side, clamp the shaft......( seems logical, but I am stupid)
Old 12-03-2007 | 08:06 PM

i did the pot route also on my 96 because i installed the governor springs and cant seem to get them set to where i hasve a high enough voltage on the tps so i bought a 5k linear pot and 22 gauge wire and wired it up the same but the 2 outside wires i flipped and it worked great at first for about a week then all of a sudden it is acting up... and like locks OUT the convertor in 3rd gear and i haver to hold it to the floor just to hit overdrive?? i never had to do this..??...also it shifts up and down all the time in 3rd and o/d??? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-03-2007 | 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gman07
The potentiometer works great once you get it set where you want. I manually control the OD with the OD off switch, and my potentiometer broke, so I replaced it with two 2.2kOhm resistors and it works great.

I'd recommend the potentiometer though.
I am by no means a wiring genius at all, is it fairly simple? Seems to be everyone who has done this is plenty pleased with it, so it must be worth doing. Just not sure if I have the know how. Unless someone has done this in my area.
Old 12-03-2007 | 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 93Fury
I am by no means a wiring genius at all, is it fairly simple? Seems to be everyone who has done this is plenty pleased with it, so it must be worth doing. Just not sure if I have the know how. Unless someone has done this in my area.
its VERY SIMPLE!!!! there is a thread on here by Tukerdee that even has pics.

I messed mine up by not soldering a joint properly, but it was a 5 minute fix to correct it...
Old 12-04-2007 | 01:14 AM

I ordered all the necessary items (except for the shielded cable) last night, from Radio Shack online. My local Shack doesn't seem to have much of an inventory. Chris; as you mentioned, I will have to saw down the 5K pot shaft - as the one from the Shack is fairly long. Should make quick work of it with my Dremel. I will probably swing by Menard's and see what they have for Shielded cable. Their electrical dept seems pretty well stocked. I will go to NAPA if I draw a blank at Menard's. I can't wait to get the 5K pot installed
Old 12-04-2007 | 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 12VRoush
i did the pot route also on my 96 because i installed the governor springs and cant seem to get them set to where i hasve a high enough voltage on the tps so i bought a 5k linear pot and 22 gauge wire and wired it up the same but the 2 outside wires i flipped and it worked great at first for about a week then all of a sudden it is acting up... and like locks OUT the convertor in 3rd gear and i haver to hold it to the floor just to hit overdrive?? i never had to do this..??...also it shifts up and down all the time in 3rd and o/d??? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I dont know if the TPS/OD set up is the same on a 2nd Gen or not....
flipping the two outside wires really shouldnt make that much of a difference. teh POT will just "work backwards" so to speak...
Old 12-04-2007 | 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I dont know if the TPS/OD set up is the same on a 2nd Gen or not....
flipping the two outside wires really shouldnt make that much of a difference. teh POT will just "work backwards" so to speak...
the transmissions are nmot the same but they use the exact same tps on both. yes thats whhy i switched them so it would work clockwise.... it was working great now its not at all!!! its killing me going back and forth to college oin a 80 mile round trip!!! god.... pls help anyone
Old 12-05-2007 | 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 12VRoush
the transmissions are nmot the same but they use the exact same tps on both. yes thats whhy i switched them so it would work clockwise.... it was working great now its not at all!!! its killing me going back and forth to college oin a 80 mile round trip!!! god.... pls help anyone
SO to clarify, it WAS working, then quit???
If that is the case, I wouold suspect a wiring problem more than anything else.
I know on mine, soldering teh tiny little pins was a real challenge for me, and about two weeks after I installed the POT, one of my wires broke loose from teh pin at teh TPS connection. OD would not engage at all.....
Once I figured out where the problem was, it took all of 5 minutes to fix.
I got a set of clamping forceps from a hobby store and used theem to hold the wire/pin together while I soldered it the second time, made it much easier.
I woudl suggest you start tracing teh wiring and look at all teh connections, including the wiring to teh tranny andsee if you problem isnt somewhere along there
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:43 AM

yes i will try that i think i found that the supply wire is conmin on and off barely on the pot ....the wire are only put through the hole and wrapped around on the pot...not a very good conecction so i will try to solder them....