1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

tps cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tps cleaning

I know that there is an article on cleaning the tps in the sticky but the link doesn't seem to be working. could someone give me a quick run down, thanks.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peirs has redone thier site, you have to go to teh home page then select "old site" from the list there adn then select "technical articles"...copied and pasted:

Cleaning the TPS
1. Check the TPS voltage and make a note of the reading for reference
2. Remove the top TPS body itself by removing the two screws holding it down.
3. Carefully lift it up and note that underneath there is a plastic slot and key type indexing.
4. Once the TPS body is off you can turn it over and spray electrical contact cleaner into it, working it back and forth.
5. The use some gentle compressed air to dry out the spray cleaner if needed (it evaporates pretty quickly).
6. Reinstall it and try the reset procedure again and watch your dcv meter for smooth movement.

Removal Notes
The shaft is lightly spring loaded. When the hex headed bolt end is pulled upwards on removal the head/shaft may 'snap rotate' an 1/8 turn or so, so watch it as it comes out since it needs to go back in the same position.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 AM

I'll tell ya what I did... First I removed the TPS, drilled a 1/8" hole. Shot some electrical cleaner in and moved the pot some. then gently dried it with compressed air, then sealed it with a dad of silicone. Worked for about 2 months. Went and got everything ready for the "pot swap" I cleaned the TPS and didn't seal the 1/8" hole. It has been working perfectly for 4 months now.... vented. Ready to "pot swap" first sign of trouble, though. Artie
Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM

I had to do this on mine right when I bought the truck last summer and it fixed it, then a few weeks ago it started acting up on me again, randomly popping out of OD on the highway and revving up in 3rd gear so I had to stop and buy some contact cleaner and took it off in the parking lot of the store and cleaned it out/ reset the voltage and it has been fine since.