1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

towing up hills

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing up hills

HELP! I just bought a 92 one ton with a 5 speed and it wont pull a steep incline without downshifting. I haven't adjusted the valves but there isn't any valve train noise. I don't know how to adjust the timing. I don't know if the timing needs to be adjusted because the engine idles great. My fuel filter looks like crap. It is extremely dirty and rusted. I will be replacing it tomorrow. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's stock. Actually, a plugged fuel filter is the first thing to check when a diesel seems to be a little weak, next thing would be the lift pump. Once you get it running normal, check out the FAQ section for the 1st gens for info on how to turn up the pump, but get gauges first. I doubt the timing is off, that is usually accompanied by excessive white smoke. There's nothing wrong with winding the motor out to get up a hill, though. It's actually easier on the engine than grinding up the hill at low RPM.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:22 AM
BDT

yes, thats right. lugging a diesel will run the egt's to melt down ,thats why every ctd needs a pyrometer. its better to shift to the next lower gear and hold the pedal against the gov. this is usually only neccessary when heavely loaded though. also what gears are you running?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:47 AM

how about the air filter,these things need air....
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM

Hey, I appreciate all the help. I just replaced my fuel filter and it helped considerably but it still seems slugish going up steep hills in 4th and 5th gear compared to my other truck. The gear ratio is 3.54 and the air filter is very clean. I'm thinking the lift pump may be to blame because usualy when I replace the fuel filter I screw it about half way on and then pump the filter full using the manual lever on the lift pump but this time I couldn't. When I tried the lever was completely free moving no matter how much I pumped it. I had to crank the truck several times to get it to finally run. Is it normal for the pump to be like that? I'm probably going to replace the lift pump, any suggestions on what brand? Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Yes that is normal for lift pump manual priming. The pump/cam lever is simply resting on the wrong spot on the cam...kick it over and it should work fine.
As for your low power on grades in 4th and 5th... you need to give us an idea of what the gradient is on those hills. Are they 10% grades? less? more?

Normally you can pick up a fair bit of performance/towing power by tweaking the timing up a bit, rotating the AFC diaphram toward the rich setting and a bit of increase in the high idle (governor setting).
This will let the engine pull up farther into the RPM band before needing to shift, which helps the next gear come in at a better RPM level.

Bob.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:32 AM

I actually forget where I bought my manual feed pump but it was only about $ 40 including shipping. I did get it from one of the sponser's on the local websites. For that money, I figured why not have a new one sitting there working.