1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Torque Converter

Beginning to look that in addition to losing a month and a half last fall to transmission work, I may have gotten shafted as well. It's supposed to have a low stall Goerend TC in it, but Goerend TC's have a serial number on them, and we can't find any. This one seems to have something wrong with the turbine. It stalls right, pulls like a champ, but slips bad on deceleration. The rest of the tranny checks out good, holding stall at 1300 rpm WOT in both directions. Shop's TC source says that about has to be turbine decoupling between the pump and turbine, where the turbine moves away from the pump on deceleration, and pulls toward the pump on acceleration.

It also shifted sluggish in 4th gear. They found some trouble in the 4th gear hydraulics, which fixed that problem but didn't do anything for the wimpy engine braking.

Anyway, what's out there for an equivalent TC? Goerend first gen is special build and $$$$$.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Had mine a year and have been quite happy with them. The customer service is awesome. Was about $300 I think. They also make a bunch of billet parts. They are in NC.

http://www.revmaxconverters.com/
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a TCS and love it there out of BC Canada
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the TCS
Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Your not going to get a lot of engine braking with a diesel and non lock up converter...
Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by TLRMAN
Your not going to get a lot of engine braking with a diesel and non lock up converter...
It was really quite adequate before the torque converter failed. The engine gives a lot of braking with the PacBrake exhaust brake.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Were you downshifting the trans?

What axle gears?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Matt
Were you downshifting the trans?

What axle gears?
Of course, 3.54:1.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had two TCS converters supposedly the tight towing ones and a friend also bought one. Mine sucked can't even climb a curb. Add up the price of those two converters and re re the trans on a4x4 I could have bought a suncoast or goerend
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Of course, 3.54:1.
3.54's work decent way better then my set of 3.07s do

Not as good as my set of 4.10's - kinda wish I didnt swap em. Only lost maybe a 100rpms on the tach @60mph.

Stock convertor sucks majorly. I should be getting off my butt and tear into my other 47rh and rebuild it.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by crazy clem
I've had two TCS converters supposedly the tight towing ones and a friend also bought one. Mine sucked can't even climb a curb. Add up the price of those two converters and re re the trans on a4x4 I could have bought a suncoast or goerend
Actually, for towing you want a torque converter that has a somewhat higher stall, and bigger ratio at the same time. (they're related) A real low stall converter will be a slug unless you have enough engine torque to start out in a higher gear. You sacrifice starting torque at the wheels for efficiency.

An extremely low stall converter is considered a road (mileage) converter.
Moderate low stall, like -300 to -500 is considered an RV converter.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But Yet My Used TCS converter has been flawless no troubles what so ever and everyone that rides in truck say's Wow this thing is sweet. Mine has 89 marked on it haven't dug enough to figure out what that mean's but it pull's Great.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM

The guy that did my transmission (Kole Johnson) won't talk to me, so I'm having another transmission shop (Natco) pull the TC out and check it out. It appears there's excessive clearance between the pump and the rotor. It's black, so it is probably a Goerend. They say as long as it's not ballooned from excessive oil pressure, they'll repair it on warranty. There's a mistake one could make on the valve body that will cause TC oil pressure to be excessive.

I have a feeling the thrust washers or bearings, whatever, caught heck when I was engine braking in the Rockies with the valve body loose.

Hopefully the TC will get pulled today and shipped to Goerend for evaluation.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM

They pulled it today, and with phone guidance from Goerend, they checked it for ballooning and found it normal. They checked the play of the turbine with an input shaft and found it loose. It's on the way to Goerend for warranty r/r.

The guys at Natco had never worked with Goerend. They were impressed to say the least with the professional help, and the lifetime warranty. With the serial number off the TC Goerend knew everything about it, including who bought it.

Should have it all back together early next week.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM

"The guys at Natco had never worked with Goerend. They were impressed to say the least with the professional help, and the lifetime warranty. With the serial number off the TC Goerend knew everything about it, including who bought it."

Valuable info, thanks! With the amount some guys pay and the grief factor for lousy customer service things like this can really pay off in the long run. Obviously the 'Lifetime Guarantee' is real and genuine. More than impressive that the guarantee is actually on the torque converter itself and not just paperwork to the original owner.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter