1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

torch out the tailpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torch out the tailpipe?

As some of you might remember from my last post, I was preparing for the county fair pickup pulls. I went to the county fair last night and hooked the beast in 7800# "stock".

We put the hurt on all 8 first gens present plus a bunch of 6 oh no's, duramax's, and even my friends 2nd gen 12V that dynoed 346/822 2 weeks back. I didn't win with a 268' 11'' pull but made the top ten, if I had a better launch things may have been better .

After i made my run a guy came up and said he'd never seen anything like that. Like what I replied? Fire out the tailpipe! They were serving beer there and it was about midnight so I just nodded my head along with the guy. And then more came up and said the same thing, I have pulled for years and never seen a diesel pickup put flame out the tailpipe except for ulimiteds with stacks through the hood.

The next morning I was reviewing the tape my wife filmed watching the jerky lauch again and again and about the third time I saw it. FIRE? IT WAS TRUE IT PUT FIRE 8" OR SO OUT FULL LENGTH 4" PIPE! Now the scary part is this good or bad? I never saw the pyro as the launch kept me busy. I'm going to try to get my friend to give me a copy of his DVD recording which has better sound and get it posted on thedieselgarage for those disbelievers.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by stillsmokin
As some of you might remember from my last post, I was preparing for the county fair pickup pulls. I went to the county fair last night and hooked the beast in 7800# "stock".

We put the hurt on all 8 first gens present plus a bunch of 6 oh no's, duramax's, and even my friends 2nd gen 12V that dynoed 346/822 2 weeks back. I didn't win with a 268' 11'' pull but made the top ten, if I had a better launch things may have been better .

After i made my run a guy came up and said he'd never seen anything like that. Like what I replied? Fire out the tailpipe! They were serving beer there and it was about midnight so I just nodded my head along with the guy. And then more came up and said the same thing, I have pulled for years and never seen a diesel pickup put flame out the tailpipe except for ulimiteds with stacks through the hood.

The next morning I was reviewing the tape my wife filmed watching the jerky lauch again and again and about the third time I saw it. FIRE? IT WAS TRUE IT PUT FIRE 8" OR SO OUT FULL LENGTH 4" PIPE! Now the scary part is this good or bad? I never saw the pyro as the launch kept me busy. I'm going to try to get my friend to give me a copy of his DVD recording which has better sound and get it posted on thedieselgarage for those disbelievers.

Needs more air?.....or probably needs more timing! don't realy no just gessing.
That video would be way cool to see
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM

Have plenty of air into the turbo but concerned about the size of the turbo. I'm thinking strongly about advancing the pump more I think wannadiesel thought I should put it to the head! I have to waste my other friends Dmax that dynoed 353/785 in 2 weeks. I'm willing to do whatever to whoop up on him, he beat me out the gate this weekend and was 2nd overall.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's a timing issue. The POD's need all the timing you can give them. Push the pump as far as it will go.

I'm sure the pyro was pegged. Don't sweat it, that's how most people pull. Just run the engine at a fast idle for 5 minutes or so to cool everything down gradually after the pull.

You need more turbo, but to expect a pulling truck to stay under 1200 degrees is unrealistic.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm sure it was too!

What will this thing sound like with the pump all the way over?

What should I do for the turbo improvement (keep in mind this is a "stock" class). I thought about building a WH1C 14/ H1E hybrid. Quick spool is a MAJOR factor. I figure it looks kind of "stock" to the untrained eye. I don't remember if the stock turbo is required by rules. But the hybrid should push alot cooler air, bring EGT's down some, and not have excessive drive pressures. I say this without doing much research though. Then again I could go with the old IMCA racing theory, it ain't cheatin till ya get caught!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I think you could sneak a hybrid in there. They don't look any different externally. I wouldn't waste the money on a 14 cm wastegated housing. With all the fuel you are pushing a 16 cm will spool fine and keep the drive pressure low.

Unless it sounds like a 6.5 liter GM the timing is conservative enough.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 PM

What does the HTT stage 4 compressor/H1E sound like compared to the HX35W with the silencer out and all metal intake components. People think my truck sounds like an airplane at takeoff now! But, lounder high frequency sound is desireable.

Is there a better wrench to access the bottom nut on the injection pump? Or am I welding again?

Out pulling a P7100 truck, priceless.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It sounds "bigger" if that makes sense. It's louder under all conditions.

Get a set of "S" wrenches from Harbor Freight. $10 for the set, the 12/13 mm one is perfect for the pump, and the 14/15 mm is nice for the turbo nuts. Bargain of the Century of a 1st gen owner.