1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Too much black smoke

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:18 PM

Too much black smoke

Hoping a guru will read this post. I had a leaky injection pump on my truck so I decided to pull it and put a rebuilt one on. Truck ran great just leaked fuel. I ordered the Scheids 105 lightning pump put it on and was real hard to start. I did bleed the lines. Ran real rough idle, shaking etc. White smoke bad pure fuel out of the exhaust. So I decided to change the injectors with DFI 5X12 sac injectors. No change. I had a brand new Airdog 100 sitting around so I installed that , no difference. So I got reading and decided to advance my timing all the way to the head no difference, Then I pulled my front cover off and skipped a tooth advanced and now starts just like it used to little haze at idle but I expected that from the injectors. Sound great until I hit the throttle then it breaks up real bad Black smoke real bad. Once the turbo lights it smooths out very little smoke and puts me back in the seat. I have a s300g 57/65/14 turbo on it. I do build boost good once turbo lights up. My egts climb fast also with only 4000 lbs load.. Never had much of a problem in mountains with 14000 lbs. My truck is 1992 D250 intercooled automatic Today I put the smoke screw flush with the top in increments no real change and the star wheel was all the way down I put it about 3 threads from the top little change definitely was hoping to get smoother acceleration. Still rough on hard throttle and way too much black smoke. I have driven it about 100 miles since new pump drives good as long as i don't hammer the throttle. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by reddpup; Yesterday at 05:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old Yesterday | 06:37 PM
BHD

Do you have any idea what the fuel delivery is? 5x12s seem really big for a stock replacement pump.
Old Yesterday | 06:59 PM

89-93 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Scheids 12MM Cut delivery valves 4000RPM High Performance VE pump from Pure Diesel Power
Seems like with all the afc adjustment I did it is still flooding the turbo until it lights. I have the stiffer spring also. I am going to try to flip
the star wheel and put it at the top where it while catch the locks and see if that helps.
Old Today | 06:41 AM

"Flip the star wheel?" Not familiar with that term.

If you don't have the 60lb valve springs tr not to use all that RPM until you do. Keep the valves off the piston tops.